Moosilauke

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gillian

Reaction score
Exeter, NH; Avatar: Carrauntoohill, Co. Kerry, Ire
Sunday, May 4, 2008

Gorge Brook, Carriage Road out via Snapper

Trail Conditions: Still quite a bit of snow on the Gorge Brook trail - high in spots until above treeline. Here there was a mixture of bear rock with patches of snow till the summit which was covered in a thin layer of ice. Patches of snow on the Carriage Road just below the summit and heading into the krumholtz there was still about a foot of snow. About .7 miles before the Snapper trail turned to mostly bear rock. Snapper, had to hike the mono rail most of the time.

Equipment: Barebooted on the way up, but snowshoes will definitely be needed if the temps warm up at all this week... At the icy summit in the wind and the rain I put on my Microspikes, no slipping for me!...took them off at the snapper.

Comments: Very relieved to find the road open - I wasn't sure about that! Felt like winter conditions for the first half of the hike....thankfully though, as it was cold enough to keep the snow hardpacked as naughtily I left my snowshoes in the car. I wasn't expecting all the snow - very different from Lafayette last week where there was hardly any! Great hike in the crisp fresh air and didn't see a sole!
"Foot" note: My recovering ankle sprain was just dandy for the most part on the way up. Each hike its getting a bit stronger on the downhill, although I'm still a bit cautious. :)

Gillian
[email protected]