Mount Ascutney VT - Windsor Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrekMan

Reaction score
Suffield, CT Avatar: Highland Ctr after Presis
ASCUTNEY – 3 of us hiked the Windsor Trail, off Rte 44A about 1.5 miles past the State Park Entrance. The weather was predicted to be mostly cloudy in the morning and then partly sunny in the afternoon (is this different?). We started out on the trail, it was about 60 degrees, at 9:45 heading up through a deep grassy field where there was an obvious path. In maybe ¼ mile it dove into the woods and we were on our way. There had been quite a rainfall the day before and the trail was quite wet. Chris was in sneaks and he was soaked before ½ the uphill was covered. On the way up we took the log shelter route, a right fork on the Windsor Trail. We arrived at the top of the observation tower at 12:15 and still had some pretty good views of ski areas and far away mountains. We decided to hike down to the West Peak (about 20 minutes) where they launch the hang gliders and have our lunch. When we got there, no hang gliders were around and we had the launch platform as a lunch platform.
Off after lunch (1:15) back to the top, then down Windsor Trail. When we got to the fork where Blood Rock Trail went – we took it. Blood Rock was a nice vista looking out to the east back toward Windsor. Some slippery rocks – even those that did not look it – kept us on guard walking down. Chris was glad to take off his soaked socks when we got back to the car at 3:30 ... and of course, it was nice and sunny.
--TrekMan
P.S. Ascutney is 2500 vertical feet and good training for the Whites. :D

I live very close to Ascutney and head over there anytime I need some vertical feet! I have gone up Future's trail most recently because I wanted a little more distance, but must say that for the small mountain it is, Ascutney is a challenging hike and the Windor trail is the steepest on it.

Reactions: arm
Mount "Ax Cut Knee" is my favorite mountain. I grew up in Wndsor so have lost track of how many times I've climbed it, mostly the Brownsville trail, followed by Windsor trail. Also broke my leg skiing it. It's been a few years since I've climbed it, but I do miss the old fire tower. We would sometimes sleep in it when I was in High School.

glad to see some other people on here go to Ascutney.

I used to hike it all the time since I lived right nearby. I lost count of how many times.

I really like the perspective you get of Hawks Mountain. It seems so small from up there, while it seems so much bigger when you're driving along 131 or the backroads in Cavendish.

I'm heading up that way on July 3rd. Perhaps another trip up the Weathersfield trail is in order before heading to the family cookout.

Is there a good source for info on hiking Ascutney? maps, descriptions etc. I have been skiing there and I love the view. (its great to see the crowds over on Okemo) I think Ascutney is New England's best kept secret.

Puck said:
Is there a good source for info on hiking Ascutney? maps, descriptions etc. I have been skiing there and I love the view. (its great to see the crowds over on Okemo) I think Ascutney is New England's best kept secret.
Day Hikers Guide to Vermont, published by the Green Mountain Club. Nice little book. Tons of hikes all over the state. A companion to the long Trail Guide.

Green Mountan Club Support these guys!

Amazon.com (when all else fails)

Last edited:
There used to be a Mount Ascutney guide book published by Mt. Ascutney club or something close, but I haven't seen one in about 30 years so I don't know if they still do or even if they still exist.

The little information booklet that they give out at the State Park entrance is pretty good too.

The trails are not as heavily used as the Whites, some days you won't see anybody else. Sometimes the blazing is hit or miss and there are some spots where it can be hard to follow the trail on both Weathersfield and Brownsville. Windsor doesn't have that problem. And the one time I went up the Future's Trail I don't recall any issues. Of course, I haven't hiked there in 3 or 4 years so it may be better now.