Mount Hood guides

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our unguided group of four took the regular walkup route until we got to the chute that Giggy mentions. At that point we headed a bit to the left (west) and then up. Sorry I can't be more specific--it was 4 years ago--but once we hit the ridge, it was but a short walk to the summit. We descended the same way. I do remember that our route looked easier, less exposed, and less icy (on that day) than the chute.

None of the parties we encountered that day were roped up. We did rope up, basically as practice for Rainier later in the week--it was my first time on a rope. I remember the whole Hood climb being easier than I'd expected; we did it from the parking lot (some take the chairlift partway), non-acclimatized, in a few hours. Rainier was definitely harder.

[Chip] My experience is that roped travel, especially with guides and guests you don't know, can become a demanding test of patience

Yep. :rolleyes: I've never been on a guided climb--lucky to have experienced and willing friends instead!--but after Denali, I realized that roped travel for hours on end is not exactly my idea of a fun time, perhaps best addressed in a new thread, "Why I hate roped travel." Yes, patience is key! :cool:

PS: Timberline Lodge has a great beer selection.

Last edited:
Ditto on the recommendations for TMG. I'm in the process of planning a March attempt of Hood via Leuthold's Couloir with TMG. Not planning on staying in Timberline Lodge, however. I'm sure the prices are reasonable in the off-season, but I'll stay at the $70/night Comfort Inn in Portland and commute instead.

Booked my climb today for March 12 with some flexibility on either side of that date for weather concerns. Being an off-time of year, I'll have a nice guide-to-client ratio of 1:1. Hard to beat that. Hope the weather cooperates.