Mount Hutchins; Pilot Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill bowden

Reaction score
I'm returning to the Pilot Range on Saturday, the three southern peaks were pretty easy in the past but Hutchins was pretty rough on the south die and top of the westerly trending ridge from the main ridgeline. Any recent experience on how the north side of this ridge is? Any alternate suggestions?

I'll agree the three Pilots are fairly straight forward when you find the right way. (With a start off the Herman Savage Road in the Lost Nation area.)

The Col between West Pilot and Hutchins got harder, but this was later in the day also. But I was really slow in this section. Taking the Ridge down from Hutchins to the Cummings Brook area was hard to start then it opened up much better. (love to see birches.) I dropped off the ridge and I then got closer to Cummings Brook, and this was really easy at that point. If you are lucky you will be able to cruise on out at that point towards the area where you parked.

track log

Bill, there is an old slide that has been used as a route, usually to ascend Hutchins. It's a fun hike. The slide is on the NW side of Cummings Brook well into the basin, to the east just below the peak itself. Haven't been there in awhile but it's worth the effort.

Last edited: