Mount Isolation (8/24/12)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff&Henry

Reaction score
Route: Rocky Branch > Isolation Trail > Davis Path (Isolation Trail East)

Full photo album

-----------

Overall, I found Mount Isolation via Rocky Branch to be an enjoyable hike. There's no question Isolation is a long hike. At just over 14 miles, it took us just about 8 hours, but the trails offered a nice bit of variety.

Isolation begins quickly with a solid uphill climb, so I began to dislike this mountain early on. Interestingly though, Rocky Branch trail levels off, and takes you through sunny "meadows" and nice birch groves, and then, shockingly, into a nice gradual descent...and I started to appreciate Isolation more.

In the descent down towards the Rocky Branch river, the trail gradually gets a little muddy, then puddly, then you start relying more on the stepping stones, until finally, you're on the stepping stones noticing the water around them on the trail is about a foot deep. Footing generally is quite good.

After about 2 hours, We were pleased to see the river, and we briefly checked-out the campsite. We would pass to additional sites on Isolation trail, although they weren't marked on my map.

After a brief lunch on the rocks in the river, the next 2.6 to Davis Path would begin.

Here's the little secret about Isolation: after passing the Rocky Branch river, the trail never really gets steep or hard again until just before the summit. Seriously!

The lower section of the trail is a rather slight uphill grade with a few river crossings (which were not that difficult, although I can see they could be VERY difficult at certain times of year), and scrambling over wet rocks. Overall, wet trail was pretty constant. Near to the intersection of Davis Path, the trail was in much rougher shape, with a bunch of blowdowns we had to scramble over.

NOTE: This section of trail does receive my top award for THE MOST COB WEBS I HAVE EVER WALKED THROUGH IN MY HIKING CAREER. There are some seriously busy spiders on this trail.

The .9 walk on Davis Path was pretty easy as well, with some views back to Mount Washington, which helped keep us motivated. Many of the bridges were like teeter-totters, so be careful.

NOTE: I guess this is actually both Davis Path and Isolation Trail East.

As I mentioned, the final .1 up to summit is your steepest climb of the day. Thank goodness there's a big payoff as you climb out of the conifers into the bright sunshine and a fully exposed summit of Isolation.

---------------

Best sights of the day:

A great photo of 3 "Fly Agar" mushrooms

Frogs were everywhere

Did someone lose their flippers?

Nature's modern art

Full photo album

JW
43/48 AMC 4K
[email protected]

Last edited:
Nice pictures. I did Mt. Isolation the week before from the Davis Path side, and I second your opinion on the industriousness of the spiders in the Dry River Wilderness. If spiderweb had any nutritional value, I could have lightened my pack by leaving all the food at home.

I also found the signage in this area a little confusing until I realized how they were set up. The sign you have there is "on" the Davis Path (at the intersection with the Mt Isolation summit spur). It points north "to" the Isolation Trail East and south "to" the Stairs Col Trail. In the Wilderness, they don't put mileages on the sign (apparently numbers detract from the Wilderness Experience). Each sign has an arrrow pointing to the next trail junction, with it's name.

And, as is fairly common, the Mt Isolation spur trail sign is missing. The Mt Davis, Mt Resolution, Stairs Mtn, and Mt Crawford signs are are there, but not the "main" summit in the area.

Looks like you had an awesome day for a hike.