Mount Mansfield (via the Long Trail)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff&Henry

Reaction score
(Loop Hike, via Long Trail > Profanity Trail > Long Trail)

Full photo album

First hike in the State of Vermont for us; no idea why we waited so long to hike in the Green Mountains, but scenery is simply lovely...on par with anything in the Whites, in my opinion.

After spending the week in Smuggler's Notch, and gazing up through the notch each day at Mansfield, we decided we would tackle Vermont's highest and arrived at the Long Trail trailhead on route 108 around 7:45 AM on 8/1/13. (Note: we stopped at the Green Mountain Club HQ on Route 100 and got a very good map of the area. Good people there too!)

For those of you who haven't been around Smuggler's Notch, it easily rivals Franconia Notch, but a bit more steep and cramped. With such dramatic surroundings, and with a cool, clear morning, we knew the views would be sensational.

The hike up the Long Trail is only about 2 miles with nearly 3,000 feet of vertical climb, so we knew it would be steep immediately, with few breaks. Ironically, we would find the climb up the trail much better than the climb down. The greatest irritant were all the damp areas, especially on the rock faces. All three of us took at least one fall during the day.

Taft Lodge provides a welcome break around 3,700 feet, before heading up for the final push up to the ridge and to the summit of Mansfield. Once on the ridge, the real rock climbing begins, although most steep areas provide decent hand and footholds.

The summit of Mansfield we found to be as rewarding as the Whites...and the ridge towards the auto road was breathtaking, especially as the low clouds blew throught the notch. The caretaker from Taft Lodge was on summit duty and we were thankful for someone to take our picture. Heading south on the Long Trail from the summit, I found the views to resemble a "mini-Tuckerman's ravine" and the passing clouds made it even more dramatic.

Another odd thing about Mansfield are all the "auto-road" hikers who drive up and see the enticing, rocky summit of Mansfield 2.1 miles away, and take their keys and ill prepared selves and begin their journey over. We passed two women with nothing more than light workout outfits and Lexus keys go past us shivering...

After a brief lunch on the ridge, we decided to head down Profanity Trail (the bad weather route back to Taft Lodge). Well, after heading down Profanity Trail, we understand why it has that name. We regretted going down the wet, loose gravel, rocky trail almost immediately. We wished we went back down the Long Trail. If the weather was lousy, or it was wintertime, I can understand why people would use it...

The trip back down the Long Trail was relatively easy, but slow, given the wet rocks.

We exited back onto Route 108 around 12:45...so 5 hours total. Not too bad. Mansfield was lovely!

The summit of Mansfield we found to be ... breathtaking, especially as the low clouds blew throught the notch.

Well, now I'm jealous. When I crossed Mansfield on the LT I had no views at all.

Another odd thing about Mansfield are all the "auto-road" hikers who drive up and see the enticing, rocky summit of Mansfield 2.1 miles away, and take their keys and ill prepared selves and begin their journey over.

Or think they can just stroll up from Smuggler's Notch. When I decended Mansfield headed north on the LT I passed a family going up with nothing but water bottles (and certainly no rain gear) not too far from the notch. Soon after it started to rain. And then it started to pour. When I was in the parking lot at the notch having a bite to eat they returned, soaked, looking pretty miserable, and got into a car with Ohio plates. One can only hope they tried hiking in the mountains again at some future date a little better prepared.

--

Cumulus

NE111: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2); Cat35: 23/39; WNH4K: 29/48; NEFF: 31/50
LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll

Funny you mention the family with water bottles...we saw a few hikers heading up with nothing more than sneakers and a 12 ounce Poland Spring bottle...all clad in resort cotton t-shirts. It's too bad, because if it's a good experience, they'll keep doing it, join clubs, bring friends, etc. If it's a bad experience, it'll be the last time...which is a shame. You see the smiles on my kids' faces? We had a blast!