Mount Matumbla

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peak_bgr

Reaction score
I know I've seen threads about this peak in the past, but I thought I would bring up a new one.

Is there a trail up this peak? Where does it start from? I would like to visit this one this winter.

It's Camp Kildare's private property & owned by the Friedmans, whom donated several million dollars to the new museum in Tupper Lake. Their property line corners near its' peak- & is cut 15-20 foot wide & well-posted by "line walkers" on patrol....esp.- during big game hunting season.

The well open property line would probably, be the easiest way. :)

heh-heh

Do they allow hikers? or will I need to seek permission? Do they own the entire mountain/the summit or is there a state approach? It's a huge mountain, there should be state land bordering somewhere.

6-7 yrs. ago- they were very protective. Basically, they own the north face & peak & is the larger of two lots they own. Last I knew- their property was bordered by IPC owned land, which was leased by clubs. Fair view on top.

I'm sure, someone here will have more current info. There's always a way.....

I climbed this in January 2006, lots of snowmobile trails to follow on the approach. No trail to the top, but real easy going. Also no posted signs in sight. FWIW - ST Lawrence County Highpoint.

Kip C.

Yeah, sorry!

This last reply piqued my interest, so I got one of my lot maps from the Kildare Club out.....and they own the north side, but NOT the high point. I must've got the peak & a little look-out spot to the north on the private side confused.

Must be "bad memory".....I HATE making these kinds of mistakes.