Mountain Suggestions for Challenged Hikers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdavis

Reaction score
I took a friend of mine up Mount Jo this past Friday. Hes physically challenged and walks on crutches. He made it up and down Mt Jo despite this, but it took everything he had to do it. Mt Jo is extremely rocky. I guess I didn't realize how bad since I only hiked it in winter. He loved it but I was wondering if anyone could suggest some hikes that are short but with good views. I'm looking for something that has less boulders. Roots were OK in that they helped him while using the crutches.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Mike
#4837RW

Lake George area hikes

I can think of a couple of possibilities in the Lake George area.

Stewart's Ledges -- An unmarked path takes you to the top of the Ledges, a rock climbing area. The path is off the trail to Buck Mountain. Views of Lake George are beautiful. PM me for detailed directions. This is a very short hike, much less that Mt. Jo.

Shelving Rock Mountain -- An old carriage trail takes you to the top of Shelving Rock Mountain on a marked trail (Eastern High Peaks guide book). Trailhead is on Shelving Rock Road in the Lake George Wild Forest. These old carriage trails were built over 100 years ago. They are wide and flat but can be rocky in places but it is usually easy to pick your way around the rocks.

Carriage trail along Lake George -- Further down the Shelving Rock Rd., there is a parking area on the left. An old road leads you down to Log Bay on Lake George. From there you can follow the carriage trail north along the shore of the lake. The lakeside carriage trails are usually very easy walking with fewer rocks than the carriage trails on the mountains in this area. This is a beautiful area with lots of history. Log Bay is a sandy bottom area, popular with boaters. You can easily get into the lake here for a nice swim. Area will be crowded in the summer, especially weekends. There is another carriage trail along the lake that runs from the north of Shelving Rock Mt. to Paradise Bay and then on to Black Mountain Point. Easiest access to this trail is by boat or you can hike down to that trail but it is steep and rocky and not well marked.

For more on the history of this area, read about the Knapp Estate on Lake George. There are many sources of info about this area, especially Barbara McMartin's book about the eastern ADKs.

Happy hiking!

Pat T

If your friend has that much difficulty using trails, and is willing to use an ATV to access backcountry locations, he should look into obtaining a CP-3 permit. There are lots of trails that follow either snowmobile routes or old roads or both that the DEC allows those with limited mobility to use ATVs on.

If he's interested in primitive camping, the Moose River Plains would be a great place to do it. 140+ car accessible primitive camp sites (some of which are handicap accessible), located in a remote setting. There's also a few short hikes along old roads to nearby lakes and ponds.

It sounds like he's determined to get himself around too- I'd recommend checking out the trails at the Visitors Interpretive Centers. There's one in Newcomb and one in Paul Smiths. Both have extensive networks of pretty well graded trails, usually covered in a soft layer of wood chips.

Baker Mountain in Saranac Lake is probably equivalent to Mt Jo in height, but a bit steeper.

Belfry Mountain in the eastern Adirondacks is a short 5 minute walk up a service road to a fire tower with some decent views.

Arab Mountain in Tupper Lake is probably also fairly equivalent to Mt Jo in length and elevation gain.

As a water destination, Fawn Lake in Lake Pleasant is a nice short flat walk in to a pretty beach on the eastern shore.

Hope that helps.

Severance Hill in the 50 Hikes book looks like a good choice. Took the kids to Baxter which is a little longer than Jo but has nice views, I think this would be a good choice also. What about the trip to the first of the Brother's?

Last edited: