Mountainsmith tents

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omegaman

Reaction score
A mystery question?

I was looking around our local sporting goods store and I came across a tent produced by the Mountainsmith Company of Colorado. This is not a camping store but they do carry some reputable brands. This tent was a solo tent and with a ten dollar off coupon was only fifty bucks (price of a bivy). I tried to do some research on the company and found they are a big manufacturer of backpacks and are trying to break into the sleeping bag market. There is no mention of tents at all. I don't really know anyone who has a Mountainsmith pack but reviews from various web sites were favorable. The tent seems as well constructed as others I have seen.

My question is: Has anyone ever heard of or have an opinion about Mountainsmith Tents. The construction and design (double hoop) seem comparable to other designs but I am wondering if these guys tried the tent market and bailed out leaving behind a good deal or are there technical flaws that forced them out of the market.

Thanks

MS has made very nicve packs for years, though I never liked the Frost Fire beause it had no spindrift collar. A couple of freinds have carried their backpacks for at least a decade or so.

I saw their tents in Dicks Sporting Goods about a month ago and did a doubletake, as I hadn't realized they had gone into tents.

I looked at the tent but walked away unimpressed with it. Design seemed aged and it was too heavy, materials seemed OK, but not on par with Marmot, MSR, TNF or a few others.

Quick check of their site doesn't show tents maybe it was a failed foray into that world. For $40, you can't go wrong - You're in Walmart Pricing Zone.