MSR fuel canister ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillman1

Reaction score
I was cleaning out my trunk today and there was a full canister of fuel that has been in there for two weeks. I don't usually make a habit of leaving them in my trunk, but it happens(I must be lazy when I get home from a hike). I was wondering if the summer heat is a problem for leaving them in the trunk, anything from condensation in the canister to possibly blowing up. Any ideas?

Most times nothing will happen but it is a good idea to keep anything under pressure out of extreme heat, just in case, especially if it is a full bottle. Heat from a trunk probably wont be enough to make it explode, unless you live in the southwest.

I don't use a canister, but don't these have pressure relief valves built into them? A relief valve would prevent the canister from blowing up. However, if one popped in your trunk, the trunk would fill up with a potentially explosive mixture of fuel and air. If the canister was flying around from the pressure relief, it could create a spark to set off the mixture.

This might be cool to watch (from a distance and in your car, not mine.)

This must be why I stick with white gas.

I really doubt that no matter how hot gets that there is any danger.

However, you might want to try this:

Take one half full cannister and place it on the top of a stove element.

Turn the element on high.

Leave the area.

Call the local fire department.

Enjoy!!

Don't try this at (your) home.:D