Mt. Cabot -- March 14, 2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
Cut and pasted from our hiking blog, http://trishandalex.blogspot.com/
Accompanying pictures (and very short video) can be found there.

York Pond Trail, Bunnell Notch Trail, KilKenny Ridge Trail, out-and-back.

9.6 miles.

I was dreading this mountain due to the trailhead's out-of-the-way location -- however, this turned out to be a very nice hike indeed.

After winding our way through the town of Berlin and driving past the fish hatchery, we arrived at York Pond Trail.

It's a flat, open 0.2 mile walk to the Bunnell Notch trail.

Looking back the way we had walked...

Alex rests at the trail intersection, worn out from the arduous trek...

From here it's 2.8 miles to the intersection with the northbound Kilkenny Ridge trail. The first bit goes through open wood and is a gentle walk.

The trail then meanders across and beside the Bunnell Brook, then goes moderately up for the last mile before reaching the Kilkenny Ridge trail. It's a nice little hike, only moderately steep here and there. One traverses nice, open woods at times....I found it quite scenic and enjoyable.

Along the way, Alex wanted to take a picture of this "hairy" tree.

We reached the Kilkenny Ridge Trail without much ado.

It's a moderate, fairly constant steep 1 mile hike from here to the cabin. Along the way, we stopped to check out the scene from the "view" (marked with a sign).

0.6 miles up from the above, we came to the picturesque Cabot Cabin.

I stood by the front porch and took in the lovely views.

We went inside and had a little snack break. Here are a few pictures of the cabin itself.

From here it's 0.5 miles to the summit. Shortly past the cabin exists the site of an old fire tower. Excellent views to be had here.

We continued easily onward, the rest of the ascent is fairly flat...

...here's Alex examining the summit sign.

I have read that the actual high point is 30 yards past a trail intersection sign that is a few feet beyond the summit sign. We followed someone else's footsteps in what seemed like the correct direction. The person's footsteps ended on top of a high snowmound...here's Alex wondering if we should also walk over other high bits, just to be sure...

We did end up walking about for 10 minutes, hitting all the seemingly high points we could find. When we were both satisfied that we must have, at some point, walked over the actual summit, we returned to the cabin.

There we had another snack break, then we began our descent.

Here's Alex, in usual descent mode....

Our descent was pleasant and swift. We were both in very good spirits and we were enjoying the warmer weather.

Along the way, Alex saw this branch with two identical broken bits on the ends. She wanted to take its picture...

She also wanted to take this picture of me, back at the Bunnell Notch/York Pond intersection.

Back at the trailhead....

It was a nice hike on a warm, late winter day. It was also the first time Alex was able to do without her heavy gloves for most of the hike. We hadn't been this warm since October!

I'm very pleased we did this hike in these particular conditions. The trail was a sidewalk, the weather was spring-like, the trees were bare, affording beautiful views throughout the woods. I imagine the Bunnell Notch Trail can be unpleasant when the bugs are out, and not as interesting with all the leaves blocking all sights but the actual path.

So ends our winter hiking for this season. Bring on the Spring!

Nice job! How many peaks did Alex do this winter?

Thanks, Jeremy. She did 6 this winter. In many ways, she feels winter hiking is easier than 3-season hiking (as long as the trail is packed!!). It's like a nice sidewalk out there, with some "butt-sliding" here and there on the way down.

I was dreading this mountain due to the trailhead's out-of-the-way location . . .
I know what you mean about dreading the drive to trailheads way up north in the West Milan and Stark areas. It’s probably different from where you live, but from my location in Bethlehem, I’m amazed each time that it doesn’t really take me much longer to go up there than driving to Waterville Valley trailheads, or even to Pinkham Notch trailheads.

But anyway . . . another nice TR . . . and what cute photos of Alex, as always! You guys had quite a fun winter season of hiking. I’ve enjoyed reading about your adventures, and look forward to reading about your Spring hikes!:)

What a trooper Alex is. And these hikes with her mom will no doubt carry her through life in one way or another -- perhaps they will even shape her life.

It's a wonderful thing you're doing with and for your daughter, Trish. (I say that as a father of a daughter myself.)

Hey, thanks Feathered Hat. We have fun out there. I enjoy her company very much. We've always been somewhat in synch with each other...these hikes kind of cement that bond.

Alex has always been an extremely high energy kid. She seems the most peaceful and happiest when she's out there hiking. I'm guessing this provides a much-needed outlet for all her energy. She's active all week long, but hiking long distances seems to be the only thing that matches her intense need for movement. I think she's going to need something like this for life -- not necessarily hiking, but some form of endurance exercise that meets her physical needs and calms her often wild spirit.

You guys are very inspiring.

I showed your Liberty trip report to my daughter (not yet six) and she was moved to want to try it next weekend, provided the weather holds up. She's been up some big ones in summertime, and we've done lots of snowshoeing locally and on smaller mountains, but this will be her first try putting the two together.

Not a sure thing yet, and we're also batting around some tamer ideas (Willard, maybe, or some of the 3,000 footers closer to home) but anyway I wanted to let you know you've got one more fan. Isidora thinks you two are pretty cool.

I showed your Liberty trip report to my daughter (not yet six) and she was moved to want to try it next weekend, provided the weather holds up. She's been up some big ones in summertime, and we've done lots of snowshoeing locally and on smaller mountains, but this will be her first try putting the two together.

Sounds like Isidora and Alex should get together sometime!! Seriously!

Alex would LOVE to meet another child who can hike long distances. She would very much enjoy doing a 4K with another kid.

Seriously -- let me know if you ever want to get Isidora and Alex together.

Maybe we could do Moosilauke...?

Also, just a note -- Alex cannot snowshoe an entire 4K, that wears her out quickly. She can snowshoe a mile or two of the trail, but definitely not the whole thing.

Does your daughter have microspikes? That's what Alex has been hiking in all winter (I've only been taking her on trails that are packed, since I know she can't yet snowshoe an entire 4K hike). Kahtoola does make microspikes in a youth size, you can order them online.

Good luck -- have fun!! Don't worry if you need to turn back, etc. I'm sure you know all the safety issues and concerns and are well-prepared. I always carry enough to spend the night out in comfort just in case something happens -- bivy, sleeping bag, etc. Also, make sure she knows what to do in the unlikely event something happens to you -- for ex., Alex knows how to use our PLB, take out the bivy, pad, bag and set it all up etc. just in case I was knocked unconscious. Unlikely event, but I feel it's crucial that she know how to call for help and keep herself warm if I cannot assist her for whatever reason (again, very very very unlikely, but still...). Again, I'm sure you know all this already.

Post a TR when you return from your hike! Even if it's a "smaller" mountain, it'll still be very nice to read a TR with your Isidora in it!

Last edited:
Trish and Alex, I just happened to come across your trip report this morning. I'd noticed some of your entries before, but never realized the two of you were mother and daughter! How very cool it is that you hike 4000's together and in winter no less!! AWESOME!!!!! You go girls!!!!!!!