Mt Cardigan, Firescrew Mtn, Mowglis Mtn, Oregon Mtn, Mt Cardigan (again) 5-19-12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IQuest

Reaction score
Trails: West Ridge Tr, Mowglis Tr, Elwell Tr, Oregon Mtn Tr, Oregon Mtn Spur, Old Dicey Rd, Back 80 Loop, Back 80 Tr, Holt Tr, Clark Tr, South Ridge Tr.

Special Equipment: Water Filter, Sun Block, Bug Spray

Comments: West Ridge, Mowglis, Holt, Clark, South Ridge Trails are easy to follow. The rest are blazed but lack a few signs and receive very light traffic. I found myself looking around a few times to be sure I was on the trail. Elwell was a nice low ridge walk with mossy footing in spots and grassy ledges. We went about a mile east past the Oregon Mtn Spur/Elwell Tr junction before turning around but were rewarded with a fine view point and we stumbled upon a moose. I also saw some sort of raven? circling around the summit of Oregon Mtn. After cleaning out my boots of sand and pine needles at the Cardigan Lodge we ascended Cardigan for the second time taking the Holt Tr to the summit. There were some fun scrambles on the ledges that proved challenging for Marlie but she did well. I would not recommend trying them if they are wet or icy but if ledgy scrambles are your thing then these are some fun ones.

NETC: http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=8660