Mt Cardigan trailwork

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creag Nan Drochaid

Reaction score
Good morning, trail crew,

The hiking trails on Mt Cardigan had moderate damage from Hurricane Ilene. 'Twould have been worse had I not cleaned all the drains within the past month.
I appeal to the hiking community to volunteer for trail restoration/erosion control over the next few weekends. Please PM me if you will attend so I can plan properly. If no signups for a given day I reserve the right to go elsewhere; if I cannot make a day with signups I will post on this thread.
Tools are supplied, but we lack enough buckets for moving soil, please BYO work gloves also.
I offer my thanks for your support.

- Fri 9/2 West Ridge Trailhead 0900h.

- Sat 9/3 " .

- Sat 9/10 East side. Arr AMC Cardigan Lodge 0845h: crews depart 0900h.

- Sun 9/11 " .

- Sat 9/17 0900h. Where depends on remaining work.

Ten thousand thanks. Yours ay,

Creag nan drochaid

Good morning, trail crew,

The hiking trails on Mt Cardigan had moderate damage from Hurricane Ilene. 'Twould have been worse had I not cleaned all the drains within the past month.
I appeal to the hiking community to volunteer for trail restoration/erosion control over the next few weekends. Please PM me if you will attend so I can plan properly. If no signups for a given day I reserve the right to go elsewhere; if I cannot make a day with signups I will post on this thread.
Tools are supplied, but we lack enough buckets for moving soil, please BYO work gloves also.
I offer my thanks for your support.

- Fri 9/2 West Ridge Trailhead 0900h.

- Sat 9/3 " .

- Sat 9/10 East side. Arr AMC Cardigan Lodge 0845h: crews depart 0900h.

- Sun 9/11 " .

- Sat 9/17 0900h. Where depends on remaining work.

Ten thousand thanks. Yours ay,

Creag nan drochaid

Sorry, I meant to write: "Please pm me or reply on this thread." Thank you.

How are the trails in terms of blowdowns/branches? I might do some cutting but after Hillwalker's project I know I can't lug buckets very long.

everyone is useful

Dear Roy,
We are doing erosion control. We are moving logs and rocks and soil. Even if you cannot lift anything beyond yourself, we still have a job for you: we need flaggers on tourist trails to hold back the tourists at the traffic cone while we move heavy objects, lest they blunder into us and someone gets hurt. Yes, they will. We were running a chainsaw clearing a blowdown once and a trail runner appeared and jumped over the log right by us not a foot from the running saw. Therefore we need flaggers.
Thank you for your help. Now if we can just gain a few more workers...
Yours ay,
Creag nan drochaid

Near AMC 9/16-17

Good Morning, trail crew,

You missed some fun. 9/2-3 we harvested a 40' spruce blowdown, toted 4 logs 1/4 mile uphill, and set 3 of them as steps replacing old ones from 1989. We dug a large ditch to divert water uphill of the flight of 11 steps, and used all the soil from it to fill the gullies Irene left on the trail under the steps. We also redug all drains uphill of there, and scouted to the summit.

Last weekend we routed and hung new signs, cut three short relos, trimmed 1.6 miles of remote trail, and assembled 11 new bog bridges.

This Friday and Saturday I am working out of the Lodge. It would be great to have 2 or 3 helpers as we set more precut waterbars on the Holt and Manning Trails as well as fill gullies with sand and gravel left by Irene. We may build a bridge ramp also.

Building things is the fun part of trailwork, and this is the season.

Meeting time at the AMC Cardigan Lodge is 9 AM. Please post here to reply, or leave message with lodge staff 744-8011 if you cannot post. AMC release form required.

Yours ay, Creag nan drochaid.