Mt. Carrigain, June 4

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Wood

Reaction score
It had been a long time since I had been up Mt. Carrigain so I sort of forgot what a great mountain it is. The first two miles are a very easy walk and Ben's 100 kept the bugs under control. There were a few water crossings and my foot slipped off a rock but I have found that the "five second rule" works as well with water as it does with germs so my boot stayed dry. Only saw two other hikers, one a runner and the other someone who said he was just going up a little ways. The last three miles are not steep but kind of relentless in that the trail doesn't seem to ever level off and just keeps going straight for miles and miles. It also seems that the footing here is similar to scree as the boulders are small and plentifull. Views from the top of the tower are great...360 degrees. A copy of Scudders is almost mandatory. I was able to see Monadnock way off in the distance. The easy last two miles down are a real joy and provide a chance to dream of a cold Pigs Ear Beer at the Whittier House.

Last edited:
Good trip report. Lots of fun tips, like the five second rule and the Scudders. Ready to go back again, say, in August?

Very nice. It is really a pleasant mountain - I was up top early one morning, appreciating the low-angle light falling on the peaks, and listening to the only sound - the Pemi River far below.