Mt. Carrigain via Signal Ridge on the Morning of 8/2/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dom15931

Reaction score
Mt. Carrigain via Signal Ridge on the Morning of 8/8/2010

Carrigain 40 of 48

***8-8-2010****
My cell alarm went off loudly at 5am and I was surprised to feel so awake. It was a good six hours of sleep for sure. I slept like a brick.

On the way to the trailhead I was blessed with two moose sightings in Crawford notch. The first was a bull moose. The second was a cow. Thankfully the bull moose wasn't all I had scene because the picture I took of it turned out about as credible as your average Sasquatch photo. :rolleyes:

Arriving at the trailhead parking area I noticed a few cars, likely backpackers as it was only 6am. The fee boxes were closed up, which was a surprise as my map indicated it was a pay lot and it obviously had recently been. I'd guess the temps were in the high 40's, nice and cool. I hit the trail at 615 and made a 3mph pace until the going got steeper about half of a mile up Signal Ridge trail. My legs were a bit sore from yesterday's hike but it was just mild...for now.

The trail gets steep fast and my sore legs became a bit more cumbersome on the inclines. I decided not to push it too hard to avoid extended discomfort after the hike. The trail was dry, well defined, and offered views higher up. The forest changed to spruces, bitch, etc quckly after the trail got steep. The temperature was nice for short sleeves and steep terrain. This hike would be a sweatbox on a hot day.

The hike goes by quickly, mostly do to the first half being a walk in on wide trail. I passed one couple coming down that had camped on the mountain the night before.

Once the rapid switchbacks occur higher up on the mountain it is not long until the ridge crests. The views became spectacular quicly. With the morning sun it was a bit hazy eastward, but the Presi's were clearly visable with no clouds masking the mountains. Vose Spur looked interesting making me wish I had time to do it. To the west was excellent, low humidity. The Osceolas looked daunting from this angle. Views into the Pemi and towards Franconia were great also. Even with some increasing clouds and humidity on the horizon you could still make out the Greens in VT.

Looking towards the summit I was surprised that the observation deck was raised. I had always thought it was more of a "deck" platform, not a mini fire tower. I knew I was in for a dandy. Ascending the summit requires a brief drop down before a quick uphill walk brings you to the tower. The old spring below the summit has been flagged "non-potable" by the forest service. I noticed a campsite just to the side of the summit also.

I arrived at the tower at about 9:00. I really enjoyed the views from the summit tower and spent about 20-30 minutes just soaking it up and taking pictures. When I did start down my leg muscles were more cramped up before. I set a comfortable pace taking it easy on the way down. After crossing the ridgeline I being running into hoards of other hikers. I was glad I got up early and had the summit to myself because it was about to get crowded. I arrived back at the parking lot just before noon.

Pictures are here:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/578383372Emmbpe

-Dom

Last edited:
Pat, Leo and I hiked Carrigain on 8/11 and only met 2 people on the way up, shared the summit with 3, and met nobody else the whole way down. That was sweet, and the views were as spectacular as ever. We had to have our lunch on the ground, though, since Leo refused to cross the metal grating on the stairs, and he barked hysterically ("Danger, Danger!") whenever anyone set foot on the stairs.
We dedicated our hike to una-dogger's Terra, as Carrigain was her 48th last fall and Leo was too young to climb all the way up.

and he barked hysterically ("Danger, Danger!") whenever anyone set foot on the stairs.

Once a dog is spooked there is almost never a chance of changing their mind! I really love taking dogs hiking. My dog Cheyenne (boxer mix) gets startled a bit too easy though by other hikers and it scares me as well as other people. Her bark is very alarming. I try to take her hiking in West Virginia every summer on a less crowded trail. I am thinking my next dog I will start young, being used to being on a trail and encountering other people along the way.

Carrigain sure was a sweet climb. Only 8 left for me and I have all 48 in NH.

Last edited:
Pat, Leo and I hiked Carrigain on 8/11 and only met 2 people on the way up, shared the summit with 3, and met nobody else the whole way down. That was sweet, and the views were as spectacular as ever. We had to have our lunch on the ground, though, since Leo refused to cross the metal grating on the stairs, and he barked hysterically ("Danger, Danger!") whenever anyone set foot on the stairs.
We dedicated our hike to una-dogger's Terra, as Carrigain was her 48th last fall and Leo was too young to climb all the way up.

That metal grate always freaks Sheep out too. On our first climb I managed to get him across it and to the top but now he refuses. He always goes bounding up the stairs and quickly turns around when he realizes what he is in for up there!