Mt Colden via Avalanche Pass 9-4-05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bristol

Reaction score
This is my first post on this site, and may I say that I have been truly inspired by all of you. In August I completed Marcy, Algonquin, and Wright. Those were great hikes for someone with little experience. I only had one peak under my belt before this summer [Tabletop 2 years ago]. To close out my hiking year I did Cascade and Porter on 9-3-05. I wanted to knock off a couple of easier ones before finishing with Colden on 9-4-05. I had my doubts about doing Colden because the weather was not as good as they had predicted, but at the last minute I decided to go for it via Avalanche Pass. I just had to see it and it was spectacular to say the least. You could hear a couple of guys rock climbing but I never saw them. I guess I got caught up in all the beauty and those boulders and ladders, and well you all know what I am talking about. It wasn’t until I got about a third of the way up Colden that I realized that maybe I was not as mentally prepared for this hike as I thought. :confused: Man was it tough and with the rain we had the night before it was wet. But I made it and thanked god that I did not have to come back down that way. It was pretty hairy just before the summit. Those last few feet of climbing on that open rock put a fear in me. I almost asked myself what the heck I was doing this for, but that soon passed once I reached to top and took a look at just how far I came. What the body and mind can do is amazing. The return via Lake Arnold as a walk in the park. By the time I reached Marcy Dam I was almost jumping for joy. I could not wait to be done.

Welcome to the board. Nice trip report. Avalanche pass and the entire Colden area is beautiful. I hope to read more about your adventures, and I would love to some pictures if you have them!

-percious

Did you take the trail up Colden from from Lake Colden, or did you go via the trap dike? I have yet to do the trap dike. If you went the maintrail I'll second your comments about how tough the trail is from Lake Colden. It is one long and steep slog, and worth every minute. :D

Thanks for the report.

Tony

Bristol said:
...To close out my hiking year I did Cascade and Porter on 9-3-05. I wanted to knock off a couple of easier ones before finishing with Colden on 9-4-05...
Bris-
Don't close out your hiking year! September/October are the BEST months for hiking (IMHO).

Bristol said:
This is my first post on this site, ... It was pretty hairy just before the summit. Those last few feet of climbing on that open rock put a fear in me. I almost asked myself what the heck I was doing this for, but that soon passed once I reached to top and took a look at just how far I came. What the body and mind can do is amazing.

Wow, I had the same feeling going up there last winter. It was weird, I'm usually not scared of heights, or cliffs, but right at that same spot, I started thinking (irrationally) that I was going to slip and slide all the way down to the lake! :eek:

I managed to gather my wits and continue on. And like you said, the way down to Lake Arnold is much easier!

I think the views from Colden are some of the best in the ADKs.

Welcome to the board, and keep hiking!

Hey Bristol

As the evil one who "guided" you up Tabletop two years ago in the rain, I must say that I'm glad you finally decided to join us addicts.

So you are now a "7er", eh? Only a matter of time before we read about #46, I bet.

Nicely done and great report.

Excellent dissemination of the evil addiction.

Tonycc,
I went up the main trail.

Oldsmores,
I would love to go up in the fall. The mountains must really come to life, but unfortunately I have other obligations that take precedence.

Silverback,
It took 2 years to recover from the battle wounds I endured on that first trip before I finally deciding to continue. But there is no doubt that I am hooked now and look forward to next year’s season. Hope we can hike together again. Maybe we won’t get lost next time. ;)

Bristol said:
Silverback,
It took 2 years to recover from the battle wounds I endured on that first trip before I finally deciding to continue. But there is no doubt that I am hooked now and look forward to next year’s season. Hope we can hike together again. Maybe we won’t get lost next time. ;)

Lost? I've never gotten anyone lost up there. We found the peak, we got back to the trailhead. How could we have been lost?

It was the little known scenic route :p