Mt Garfield via Garfield Trail on Dec 23, 2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomoko

Reaction score
Trail conditions: Since Gale River Loop Road is closed, the total hiking distance to Garfield summit RT is 12.4 miles with additional 1.2 mi x 2 road hike. Snow accumulation on Gale River Loop Road is approx 2-3 inches, so it looked easy to walk, however, underneath of snow was ice and it was very slippery. Therefore, we put on Microspikes 10-15 min after we left parking lot near Rt 3. On Garfield Trail, it's similar condition. Snow accumulation was 2-4 inches. Microspikes were most likely okay, but, I slipped one time on the way up. During the hike out, I slipped 4-5 times and fell down because many sections of trails were simply very icy underneath of snow. And we can't really see ice because of snow. I had Hiking Crampons with me and I should have switched to it but I didn't. At the day of the hike, it had been snowing lightly. At the summit, my leg dipped into snow up to knee level between rocks.

Necessary gear: Microspikes, Hiking Crampons (if you don't want to slip and fall down) As of Dec 23 2011, my snowshoes were left in my car.