Mt. Isolation from Rt 16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
I wanted to hike Mount Isolation before June 17, in order to finish the 48 NH 4Ker's that day on Mount Jackson. But the weather report Friday evening 6/26/06 indicated that the weather would clear around 10 am in Vermont as opposed to noon around Mt. Washington. I began to consider Mt. Mansfield rather than Mt Isolation. I got up Saturday morning and found the same weather report on the net. Further surfing revealed that it was raining where I live in Holderness, NH. But, the weather outside my window was beautiful. Trusting a dry hand over a wet computer screen, I said Mt. Isolation it is. I hustled the dogs into the car and got to the Rt 16, Rocky Branch trailhead before 9 am. Hit the trail at 9:00:00. The trail to the height of land is an easy to moderate grade the whole way, good footing, no blowdowns of note, numerous but well behaved insects, and fast. A few large muddy areas are easily traversed.

After the height of land the trail quickly became a washed out, rapidly moving, brook, requiring poles to keep the feet dry. After 0.4 mile or so I became frustrated with the hopping from rock to rock and I could hear the Rocky branch river thundering loudly still a quarter mile away. I decided that the bushwhack due North was an option that would allow me to escape the brook I was muckin' through and avoid the two river crossings near the Isolation trail junction.

At (NAD 27, UTM, 19T) 0317139 4896872 I ventured timidly into a thick spruce thicket, to find that after about 50' it thinned out quickly. It became a largely open, hardwood forest. Two large muddy areas required poles to traverse without hotfoots. I joined the Isolation trail at 0316945 4897283 which is North of the second crossing of the Rocky Branch River.

The Isolation Trail is fast and dry enough to the third crossing which was doable with poles and my longer legs. My Labrador Retrievers charged straight through. I passed two other hikers at this point neither as large as I, and they were having a tough time of it without poles. Another problem for them was their rottweiler did not seem to enjoy the water like the Labs. They said they were headed to Mt Isolation and had started out about the same time as I had from the Rocky Branch Shelter campground. I never saw them again. Clearly, bring your poles or leave your rottweiler if you want to make better time.

The fourth crossing is only about 300 feet away and I got my first hotfoot there. The fifth crossing was pretty easy. The Isolation trail became difficult for me to follow above the fifth crossing. I bushwhacked up a ravine that was blowdowns the whole way. There were many footprints in the area so I just kept going, wishing I had brought my chainsaw. I had to bushwhack for 0.3 mile to the Davis Trail at 0315655 4899220 which is impossible to miss.

The Davis trail to the summit is very fast. I spent about 45 minutes on top for lunch. Mount Washington was in the clouds as was much of the Southern Presidential Range. All in all the views were worth the climb. The view into the Dry River Wilderness is very impressive. Three hikers from Connecticut came along after 15 minutes or so. They left Rt 16 at 7:30 am. but had a much tougher time with the lower 2 crossings. One of them fell in up to his neck to the barely suppressed smirks of his comrades. That is until they found out that he lost their GPS. Clearly, I passed them during my bushwhack, so I must have picked up about an hour and 45 minutes by avoiding the two lower crossings. They told me that they also had lost the trail above the 5th crossing and bushwhacked up the ravine.

On the way back down I figured that I must have diverged left from the Isolation Trail at some point and might find it if I headed further North on the Davis Path. Buzzzzzzz, wrong. I eventually started another bushwhack at 0315716 4899322 that eventually found the Isolation Trail again at 0315968 4899348 between where I lost it and the Davis Trail. On the way down things were much drier and through open woods, so I did make the right choice. I ran into two hikers that were on the trail and made it much further than I did. What I am trying to say here is that the Isolation Trail is there, some where in that 400 feet between were I emerged on the way up and where I turned East on the way down. But, I lost it on the way up and could not find it on the way down.

On the way down I also bushwhacked around the fourth and third crossings. An easy traverse through dry open woods that is only about 250 feet long. The only way to go to keep the feet dry and safe.

Water is available everywhere, so bring a filter rather than carrying it. I did not have to worry about weather as it never rained that day. Not a single bug bite, never pulled out the DEET. The way is clear for June 17th.

An additional comment is that the roads were very heavily patrolled by the State police and local police. I counted 8 radar trap setups on the roads surrounding the Presidential Range and Pemi Wilderness.

Pictures will be appended when I figure out how to do it.
pic

Last edited:
Enjoyed the TR, thanks. But I gotta ask since I may be headed up there soon; what is it about the upper part of the Isolation trail? You're the second person recently that mentioned it was hard to follow. Is it because of too many footpaths/herdpaths or just no sign of any trail?

Thanks,
Chas.

Wheres the trail?

Darned if I know. The problem is that there are so many streams in the area. And they flow right down the trail in many parts. Also, this part of the trail is so far from the trailhead who would want to maintain it with water diverting sluceways. If you want I can e-mail the track gps coordinates from my mapping program. This would help you through the tougher parts. PM me.

chas said:
Enjoyed the TR, thanks. But I gotta ask since I may be headed up there soon; what is it about the upper part of the Isolation trail? You're the second person recently that mentioned it was hard to follow. Is it because of too many footpaths/herdpaths or just no sign of any trail?

Thanks,
Chas.

When I was there Thanksgiving Day there were a ton of blowdowns on the upper portion of the Isolation Trail, roughly the last 1/4 mile or so before the Davis Path. The trail was impossible to follow from either direction. Bushwhacking up to Davis Path was pretty easy though. There was a little snow back then though. :)

Paradox said:
Darned if I know. The problem is that there are so many streams in the area. And they flow right down the trail in many parts. Also, this part of the trail is so far from the trailhead who would want to maintain it with water diverting sluceways. If you want I can e-mail the track gps coordinates from my mapping program. This would help you through the tougher parts. PM me.

I don't use GPS, thanks, but I think I understand now between your description and NH_mountain_hiker's words. I'm game for a bushwhack (west?) to the Davis path if that's what it takes. I'm also considering doing Isolation as part of a backpack up the Davis path from rt302. That's the approach I used years ago on my first time around the 4k's. OTOH I've heard so much about the path from rt16 that I'm tempted to see it for myself :rolleyes:

Chas.

Dear Chas,
After the 5th crossing, if you find yourself in a ravine only about 20' deep with lots of blowdowns in front of you move to the North (right). The trail is there. Although it really doesn't matter. because you won't miss the Davis Path in front of you.

The route 16 approach is really nice, but the leverl of the Rocky Branch has a lot to do with that...we had a fairly low day...one person fell in, but it was only about knee high...not too bad. The upper part of the Isolation trail is filled with small streams and clearings and although we never really lost it, it would be rather easy to do. We made a small misstep near some of the campsites.
Nice report...
GPS is nice until you drop it in the river! :eek: