mt. isolation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossgoddard

Reaction score
whats the best way to do isolation this time of year, via rocky branch or glen boulder. i believe rocky branch is 2 miles longer than glen boulder, but provides some views?
any stream crossings to worry about?
any/ all info appreceated
thanks
harrison

There is a route with no serious stream crossings--up Ammo Ravine Tr to Lakes, Camel Tr out to Boot Spur, and Davis Path to Isolation.

A little long, but a very nice route. (I did it, so it can't be too hard... :) )

Options: include Monroe and/or Washington if you feel strong enough.

Doug

RoySwkr said:
Via Davis Path from 302 is 19 miles RT but I think would be the driest.

I would suggest that the crossing at Gem Pool and perhaps others could be tricky this time of year. And with the deeper snow up high, I wouldn't pick this route right now.
Davis Path is free of major stream crossings, but there are spots on Davis Path that can be rather wet. Also high probability of snow on the higher portions (ie most) of the trail--a non-trivial problem on such a long route.

The crossing at Gem Pool could be a problem, but it is a small drainage. Crossing it early in the day is likely to be doable. There is also a spot a little below the hut where the trail crosses a stream. Ice might be an issue, but the drainage above that point is so small that high flow is unlikely to be a problem.

I suspect that pretty much any route will be wet this time of year...

edit:
Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, but up Glen Boulder Tr to Davis Path might also be a good option--only 2 relatively small brook crossings. 12mi, 5050ft.

Doug

Last edited:
Dry River trail is another nice option for this peak. Down Davis makes a nice loop except for a little pounding pavement back to the car.

rossgoddard said:
i believe rocky branch is 2 miles longer than glen boulder, but provides some views?

Rocky Branch gots no stinkin' views. If you go in that way, you see nothing but woods until you arrive at Iso itself. And the stream crossings have been know to be problematic during periods of high water. If you want views, go in by way of Glen Boulder (but then the views you get from Iso will seem anticlimactic). Also, if feels a little strange to bag a 4000 footer by climbing to 5300' and descending to it. I did it one October by going in GB and out RB. Didn't see a soul on RB.

yogi said:
Dry River trail is another nice option for this peak. Down Davis makes a nice loop except for a little pounding pavement back to the car.

Doable, but long, muddy, and 2 stream crossings that might be problematic. 17mi, 3750ft.

The OP was concerned about stream crossings.

Doug