Mt. Jackson via Webster-Jackson Tail, Jackson Branch - 4/6

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: Apr. 6, 2013

Trail Conditions: The Jackson Branch of the Webster-Jackson Trail was completely broken out and packed down, the advantage of getting a late start I guess. I say that because other hikers we ran into noted that the trail, especially upper and connector sections were drifted by the winds in the morning. The crossing was easy and supportive. No blowdowns to speak of aside from one easy-over. There was a little ice on the trail down low, but nothing difficult to deal with.

Special Equipment Used: While we carried snowshoes in case we ran into drifting snow or if the trail got too soft on descent, we didn't need them on the entire hike and had good traction using spikes alone (wish we had known, lol). Trekking poles were helpful for probing the crossing. Snow depths on the higher sections must still be a good three to four feet, much of the higher trail's canopy is at face level making things tighter in places. Thus, there are sections of this route in which wearing glasses might not be a bad idea so as to prevent eye injury. At least be aware of this possibility when you're up there. Sunglasses were useful in more ways than one.

Comments: Hiked this one my friend Jocelyn. It was a windy, blustery day with amazing views. Terrific day for a hike, though we did change our plans to avoid an extended, exposed alpine trek. Hence the late start.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
Nottingham NH