Mt Jefferson Traditional Winter Route

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Weather permitting, I was thinking of closing out the official Winter season with a climb of Jefferson following the traditional Lowes Path/Randolph Path route. I see some fairly recent trip reports for this route but not much discussion of the condition/difficulty of Edmands Col and the snow fields (which I assume means it isn't too bad but that could be a huge error). I guess my question is whether it is practical/possible to follow the Cornice to the West (from the jct just before Edmands Col) and follow the gentler North slope up to summit if the ice fields are dangerous? I do the Castle Trail a few times a year and the slopes beyond the Cornice junction to the summit aren't terribly steep or rugged and don't have any gulfs nearby. Not sure how deep the snow is there and whether cairns are even visible or if you can simply pick a line and go up to summit. I would definitely be doing on a day with good visibility.

I'd like to see the snow fields for myself even if it is too dangerous to ascend but I'm curious if anyone has been out this way considering the unusual and icy season we've had. And I apologize in advance if I'm retreading this question because I'm pretty sure I asked a similar question a year or two ago but with the different conditions I'm wondering how that might alter people's opinions of the route. Thanks.