Mt. Jo for New Years

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Rik's reports of numerous failures notwithstanding, a large group gathered around 10:45 PM at the ADK Loj and began the arduous assault of this fearsome peak. We knew it would be tough, so we had gathered a large contingent of Winter 46'ers and a tough Winter 48'er.

:D

OK, if you don't already know, Mt. Jo is about 700' of climbing over about a mile. And it was well broken out already. There was a very light snow falling, almost no wind, and the full (Blue?) Moon was trying to make an appearance. Some hiked with headlamps, others went without. Some wore snowshoes, some micro-spikes, others bare-booted it. We went slowly, partly due to darkness, partly because of the kids with us, partly because we knew there was no rush. The sight of the cliffs covered with ice, and the procession of headlamps moving up the hill was great.

The crew included Tom/Laurie/Dick/Joann/Marc/Spencer(and kids)/Corrine/Cindy/Bryan and a few others whose names I forget.

Most of us arrived at about 11:50 PM. The summit is mostly open, so we could see the Loj Parking Lot, Heart Lake, and even a few ghostly peaks. We all donned more layers and prepared for the big event. At the appointed hour, we all broke out into cheers and passed around some adult beverages and a few tasty snacks! :D

The trip down was short and easy. However, this was the first time I've ever signed out of a trail register at 1:00 AM! :eek: :D

We didn't take any pics, but I know others did. Maybe they will post here.

Hopefully this will be the beginning of a tradition!