Mt. Magalloway (7/28/09) -

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
I did this hike last year but only got to spend about 30 seconds at the summit before black clouds rolled in and I had to hike down in a near flood.

This year it was 180 degrees opposite. Nothing but sun all day! We took the Coot Trail both up and down. On the way up we'd stop and check out the great views of First Connecticut Lake. Once at the summit we climbed the fire tower for what was an amazing view of Maine, Quebec, Vermont and even Mt. Washington since it was such a clear day.

You do not need to climb the fire tower though to get great views. There are a few spots on the edges of the summit which also provide some spectacular views. We also got to feed some birds by hand. I'm not sure about the type of bird but it was what I'd call a Gray Jay. It was a nice thrill for my 5 y.o. son.

The way down was nice without having to jump over rocks flooding by our ankles. We got another nice glimpse of First Connecticut Lake. This hike way not be a 4K footer or in the WMNF but if you are ever up in the Great North Woods area and it's a clear day, do yourself a favor and get this hike in.

When I did Magalloway, I coupled it with Garfield Falls in the same day and I would highly recommend that falls if doing Magalloway anyway since they are so close! Both were pretty cool for being so far up and out of the way!