Mt. Moosilauke 8.8.09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitten

Reaction score
Time Started: 8:20am
Trails taken: Gorge Brook Trail (ascent)
Carriage Road, Snapper Trail (descent)

We started out on the trail at 8:20 and with the beautiful blue sky above us, knew we would have a fabulous day to hike! The air was perfect; crisp and cool like fall, but still warm enough that you didn't need a coat or anything. The trail was busy, although not as busy as I had expected.

IMG_4848.sized.jpg

On our way up we only saw a few people, and as we started to get towards the lookout, we met up with a group of three guys that we 'leap frogged' the rest of the way to the top. The trail was clear, and for the most part, dry. There were only a few spots that were muddy, and easily passable.

We reached the top at 11:30 and got to see the beautiful view around us. The top was windy, just like last year when we climbed this mountain and we quickly had to put fleece shirts on to keep warm.

IMG_5090.sized.jpg

We didn't linger at the top for too long but instead headed down the ridge towards South Peak. I had to decide if I felt up to going to the top of the peak or skipping it this time. When we reached the South Peak I knew I couldn't pass up the chance.

IMG_5091.sized.jpg

We got some great and different views from the top of South Peak; and with the weather that day, we could see the Green Mountains of VT and what appeared to be the Adirondacks in NY.

IMG_5189.sized.jpg

Looking back at the main summit, we were amazed at the number of people who showed up after we had left; and someone was even flying a kite:

IMG_5214.sized.jpg

We had an uneventual descent; and it was nice to be on a trail we hadn't yet explored! I originally estimated we would see a total of 75 people for the day, but my final count only ended up being 54. But from the look at the summit, we apparently missed the huge wave of people after we had left. All in all, a great day, beautiful perfect fall like weather, and another great hike with my wonderful husband!

Time finished: 2:20
Total Elevation: 2600 feet
Total Milage: 7.9 miles

IMG_5303.sized.jpg