mt. success 12/27/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 12/27/13

trails: trailhead access road, success trail, mahoosuc trail, herd path, a.t. boundary swath

conditions: success pond road was plowed to start and then had packed snow from previous vehicles. we were able to drive all the way to the trailhead access road with no problems in a 4wd. all wheel drive vehicles would have no trouble either and i probably could have driven it ok in my 2wd passenger car with snow tires. the access road to the trailhead itself was another story. the high clearance 4wd made it in ok to the first junction where we parked, but i would not suggest attempting it. a short ways back down success pond road there was some room to potentially park on the side, but i would be prepared to shovel a spot if necessary. the trail was untravelled, but the partially consolidated snow was a bit crusty and made for good grip under snowshoes. though not deep snow there was enough coverage to make snowshoes the best footwear choice. there were clearly large ice flows under the snow in spots, but for the most part the snow adhered well enough to provide good grip on the ascent to the ridge. along the ridge the ice was harder under the snow and we had to use more care on the steeper pitches. the one particularly steep scramble on the way was tricky, but we managed it ok. on the return i scouted a way around it to the west which could be used if it became so icy as to be impassable. up around the summit it was mostly blown snow over rock with some patchy ice as we continued south to visit the plane wreckage to the southeast. jeremy was familiar with the location of the herd path that leads to the a.t. boundary cut and then south to the wreckage. the herdpath would be hard to spot in winter if you weren't familiar with its location. on the descent we took the loop path to the overlook as skies were just starting to clear. when we reached the ledges we found them coated in hard black ice so did a short bushwhack around to get to the viewpoint over berlin then contiuned down the other part of the loop.

equipment: snowshoes.

comments: we got real lucky with the conditions on this one. being able to drive so far out success pond road was a real gift. snow coverage on the trails is just enough to alleviate having to deal with much of the flow ice lurking beneath. my first time visiting the plane wreckage. a somber, but interesting place to check out. we had hoped skies would clear earlier, but we mostly got views of clouds other than a few local views from the outlook on our way out. thanks to jeremy for a nice hike.

bryan

[email protected]