Mt. Success via Success and Mahoosuc Trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumblehome88

Reaction score
I found success on Mt. Success; I completed the 52WAV list on Monday, 11/7.

Success Pond Rd is VERY rough but the side road to the T/H is very clearly marked as is the actual T/H. Frost covered leaves at the beginning of the trail. These gave way to light snow on trees, then on the ground near the Outlook. Spotty ice continued to increase until the Mahoosuc Jct. After than there was more ice and a very light cover of snow. The summit (totally clear in all directions) had rime ice forming. I counted 10 international flights heading for NYC or BOS simultaneously. I've read that you can use these flights, if lost, to find the SW direction. On the summit I discovered that I had lost my InReach communicator when I bushwacked around a very steep and ice rocky area on the Mahoosuc just before the final push to the top. It was strapped to the back of my pack. This also drained my phone battery. Distracted by all this, I forgot to go to the DC-3 wreck. But I found my InReach on the way back, hanging from a branch in the thick spruce and fir. I wore spikes for this final section and wore them well past the Outlook on the way down. Have to come back for the wreck. See https://goo.gl/photos/MtFPo32fFQihzsPr6 for a few pix.