Mt Tamalapais (California) 05/28/05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gator

Reaction score
Last spring, if you recall, we had a long stretch of rainy and cloudy days. I was going nuts. I just wanted to have a nice day outside in the warm, sunny weather, but that day would not come. Memorial Day weekend approached and there was no sun in the extended forecast. I had plans to go camping with some friends, but torrential rains and unseasonably cold weather threatened the trip. I couldn't handle another weekend mostly indoors. I started looking at the forecasts for various areas within driving distance; no luck, all rain. So, I started looking at places I could fly to and then I looked at plane ticket prices. For kicks, I checked out the bay area where some college buddies were living. Plane tickets weren't outrageous and the forecast was golden - all sun. With my friends east coast-bound in a few months, this would be the last time that I had someone there to visit. It was a no-brainer; to the Bay Area I would go.

My friends aren't ambitious hikers, but they like an adventure, and they like to get outdoors. I was thrilled when they had plans to hike Mt. Tamalapais on Saturday. It was a great, little trip. The weather was beautiful and just what I needed. Some of the pics are really bad, but they help tell the story so I decided to include them.

Mt. Tam's landscape is diverse. One minute you're looking back at the ocean
tam_ocean.jpg

and the hillside
tam_hillside.jpg

and the next minute, you're in a lush forest
tam_lush.jpg

Along the way, we came across this bad boy, that my friend accidentally stepped on. The snake just sat there, it didn't even try to scurry off.
tam_snake.jpg

There are a lot of neat things to see, like this tree
tam_neat_tree.jpg

It's not a big climb, and it's rolling terrain, but you do go up
tam_up.jpg

and sometimes it gets steep for a bit
tam_steep.jpg

and sometimes the trailbuilders need to improvise
tam_carved.jpg

We only had time to be out for a couple hours so we headed back down and before you know it, you're out of the woods and into the open, with the brilliant blue sky above you.
tam_open.jpg

And then the ocean comes into view again.
tam_last.jpg

Mt Tam

I lived in San Fran for a time and agree that is a very pleasant area. I thought your photos where fantastic, thanks I enjoyed your report.