Mt Tecumseh 4/25/10 Otis' first 4k hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoes to Views

Reaction score
We went back and forth about what kind of a hike to do today. Did we want to stay in southern NH and avoid the snow or try something a little more challenging? Then the morning dawned bright and clear and the forecast for Waterville Valley was for 50 degrees and sunny, breezy at higher elevation, and we decided to head north.
There were a few cars in the lot and one other person getting ready for his hike when we arrived. After gearing up it was onto the trail. The crossings were all easy and the snow didn't appear until after the last one. The monorail was pretty well consolidated all the way to the summit. We used microspikes after it became continuous and kept them on all the way up and most of the way down. Most of the people we saw were barebooting (or bare sneakering in the case of four young women we saw twice on the trail).
After the usual break and photos on the summit we made our way to the Sosman trail and down the ski slope to the lookout, then back onto the trail the rest of the way down.
Otis seemed to enjoy his first hike with any significant elevation. He made friends with everyone we met on the trail. He's new to us, but is not a puppy. He's five years old and has already had careers as a show dog and a stud dog. He's settling in very well as a family dog and this was a great start as a hiking companion.

Handsome fella!

Got a soft spot in my heart for Labs. Good lookin' dude, that Otis!

Hi Shoes!
That was me you chatted with getting ready in the lot. Too bad I didn't get to meet Otis!
Snow pack was nice and hard up high when i got there, no issues. Trail is getting soggy though, I prefer snow on Tecumseh to be honest. Great day all around.
And I did pass by the four sneaker girls heading down - or more like cascading down at high speed! They seemed ok though and having fun!
Good to meet you!

www.expeditionkalapatthar.blogspot.com

Yay Otis!

Glad you had a great day out, and glad to have met you all a few weeks back. Look forward to many more trip reports!

KDT