Mt. Tecumseh up the Mt. Tecumseh Trail Thursday, July 12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogorchis

Reaction score
After several years of not doing much hiking in the Whites, I went up to Mt. Tecumseh to hike. In the past few years, I have been busy getting a house ready to sell, moving and getting settled. :eek: So, it was high time to get back to the mountains.

I had a great day; there was a good breeze, at least early in the day. I met one of the "Grid" hikers - Bruce Pfendler, and we had a nice chat. I only saw six other people on the hike. The last time that I was on Mt. Tecumseh was in the winter, when I was working on my winter list. It's always interesting to see all the rocks that were under the snow cover!

On the way down, I decided to take the Sosman trail over to the ski slopes and walk down. This proved to be an interesting, but fun challenge. The slopes were covered with wildflowers and wild strawberries. I even saw a small cream covered orchid, fireweed and sundews growing in some of the wet areas. The black flies were trying their best to eat me alive, but they don't bother me as much as skeeters, so I survived.

Winter wrens, a wood thrush and a white throated sparrow were heard in the distance, and on my way from Route 49 on to Tripoli Road, I saw a small fox.

Because the day was sunny and bright, it was fun to see the Osceolas, the Tripyramids, Moosilauke and other mountains in the distance. I was amazed at how hot it was driving home with temps in the low 90's. It was a good day to be up high.:)

I was amazed at how hot it was driving home with temps in the low 90's. It was a good day to be up high.:)

How true! Whenever someone comments about "what a hot day it is to go hiking!" I have to remind them it's generally cooler up there.

I was up there last Tues. and regret not taking the ski trail down after reading your post. The flowers sound awesome, not to mention the fox! :D