Mt. Washington via Lion's Head 5/29

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

above_tree_line

Reaction score
I started from the Pinkham Notch at 7:40 knowing that the summit was totally shrouded and the winds were 70-80 MPH sustained. The trail was in great shape, a couple of muddy spots, but otherwise best I've seen it in a long time.

I put on the fleece vest, winter shell, gloves and all that good stuff just above tree line, right below the lion's head... perfect timing, once I cleared that knob, it was full on into the wind.

The trail didn't get really icy until I was in the freezing fog on the final ascent to the summit.

After eating lunch with a few other hardy souls who braved the winds and cold and made the summit, I headed back dow the way I came. All in all a great trip....

Now for the barking... I know the mountains are there for all of us to enjoy, but on my way down I must have passed at least 12 people that were totally unprepared for the sub zero weather, and winds... I mean sneakers, jeans and t-shirts? let's get prepared people... it's bad enough when experienced and prepared hikers get in to trouble up there, we don't need to pull anyone else out of the woods. If you are planning a hike please pack properly, bring water and for your own sake and that of the SAR teams, if you aren't prepared for the weather and conditions, turn back before you get into trouble.