Mud Season in VT?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmegillon149

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the trails are officially shut down in the Greens? The GMC website doesn't seem to have anything regarding this. I'd like to get out there soon, but I am not sure if it will work out. I know it typically is in the April-May timeframe.

jmegillon149 said:
Does anyone know when the trails are officially shut down in the Greens? The GMC website doesn't seem to have anything regarding this. I'd like to get out there soon, but I am not sure if it will work out. I know it typically is in the April-May timeframe.

Could be wrong, but I think it is normally in May, through at least Memorial Day...although this year who knows when the snow is actually gonna melt.....

Its really mucky up here right now. Several access roads in my area are still closed, specifically Danby/Mt Tabor Rd, CCC Road (both still under snowpack), Wheelerville Rd (access to Bucklin Trail-has a closed except local traffic barrier but people are using it still -- not advocating this).

LT is "officially closed" for mud season until May 31.

Are the state land closures weather dependent, or is it a firm date (mid-April)?

Let's suppose (purely hypothetically*) that there was still fantastic powder skiing in the mountains on April 16th, with about a zero percent chance of walking on bare ground to access it. Would this not be allowed?

What moral and ethical factors come into play in this (purely hypothetical*) scenario?

*This scenario is a figment of the author's imagination and not based on true events. There is no powder, never was any powder, and certainly is no powder in anything, anywhere in Vermont, that resembles a birch glade. Stay home; it is mud season.