Murder on the mount?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I vaguely remember the story. I think it happened in the Pinkham Parking lot or a short distance down a trail..

I remember this - I think she was killed on the glen boulder or wamsutta trails - I do believe they thought she was follwed and it was foul play - I don't know if the person was ever caught. I want to say she was canadian and it was pretty close to the parking lot

Last edited:
I believe she was killed on the Damarascotta trail--about a mile or two from the trailhead.

As far as I know, the case is still unsolved. There was a tiny bit of publicity when it first happened, and within a month, almost nothing. It has been suggested that she was murdered by a client or someone holding a grudge or something because of her practice as a therapist. I never found that "theory" comforting, and while I continue to enjoy the outdoors in many places, I certainly haven't hiked or fished alone in Pinkham Notch since this happened. And I was fishing in the Ellis River by myself just a month earlier.

I'm still concerned that women, especially, are not as cautious as we might be. Our instincts can be telling us that a situation is unsafe, but we too often disregard that intuition. I've done it plenty of times. It's one thing to take a calculated risk in outdoor sports, it's quite another to not pay attention at a trailhead. I'm certainly not syaing that Ms. Chaput did anything like that - I'm saying that we can be careful, that's all. My recollection of the time was that there were NO signs or indications around Pinkham that a murder had taken place recently and the murderer was likely still at large, possibly in the area.

She was found there on the trail, unsure they confirmed where she was slain. IMO, I'm tempted, (comforted in thinking this) to believe it was related either to her work or personal life at home & not a ramdom murder of a hiker.