Mystery on East Royce

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

Reaction score
I went up to East Royce today and the WMG says that the true summit is 250 yards down a faint trail to the right. I started down it and noticed blue flagging, so I thought someone had flagged the route to the true summit. I followed it, excited that I might see my first 3000' canister, but when I got to the end of the flagging, I found a strange sight. A pie tin was hanging from a string, above the plate was a scrubby pad. On the base of the tree that the plate was hanging from was another scrubby pad, but this one had a bunch of roofing nails pushed through it so that they stuck out like a porcupine. I thought this was all very strange, and after looking for a few minutes for the canister I headed back. Two questions: does any one know what this was, and is there a canister on East Royce?
On the drive home, the only thing I could think that it was was a station set up to detect the elusive Lynx. The pie plate could attract it's curiosity, and the scrubby pad with nails may of had a scent on it so that when it rubbed against it, it would leave some hair behind that could be identified. Anyone have a better guess?

I was on E Royce in August and eventually found the NW "peak" after following a bunch of dead ends. Saw large amounts of moose droppings but nothing of what you described, so it must be fairly recent. Curious....

Lynx detection

The USFS is supposed to be using a system similar to what you describe to detect the presence of any Canada Lynx on the WMNF. Currently the lynx is considered extirpated from NH although a breeding population of lynx has been found in Maine.

John Weaver, a biologist from the Wildlife Conservation Society, developed the idea of impregnating a square of absorbent material(e.g. carpet) with scents presumed to be attractive to felines. The square is also studded with nails. The idea is that the cat will rub the nails and leave some hairs while exploring the scent. The hairs can then be analyzed for DNA to determine if a lynx is the curious explorer.

I have no clue what the pie plate is all about.

Lynx

I saw my first Lynx this past spring on a canoe trip in Northern Maine. We surprised it as it was hunting along the bank while we were coming around a bend in the river. What a great cat!! The huge snowshoe like feet impressed me the most.

He acted like we weren't there, and turned up the bank into the woods.

Wow, maybe I was actually right! I would love to see one in the wild, and am glad that they seem to be making a comeback. Now if they designate the Wild River area as Wilderness, we may see some Lynx in the area.
So, is there a canister on East Royce? :D