NE111, first finishers?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherby

Reaction score
Hi,

There is some decent info on the history of the 46ers and the New England 67 on the web, but I couldn't find the first finishers of the combined list (excluding the lastest changes in the '90), not necessarily looking for their names, but at least the decade.

Last edited:
J. Daniel McKenzie and Lillian G. McKenzie of Boulder, Colorado became the first 111ers on August 13th, 1948 atop Passaconoway in the White Mountains.

No one else would attain this feat until Thomas W. Kensler of Cambridge, Massachusetts finished them atop Mansfield on August 3rd, 1964.

I hope this is specific enough. LOL.

Last edited:
^^^^
Just edited the above post. Had the wrong finishing peak. The McKenzies did Hunter and Slide on 5/29 and 5/30/1948; finished the 46Rs on Wright on 8/7/48 and the 111 on Passaconoway on 8/13/48.

Source attached.

Attachments

• IMG_2077.jpeg
    IMG_2077.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 2
J. Daniel McKenzie and Lillian G. McKenzie of Boulder, Colorado became the first 111ers on August 13th, 1948 atop Passaconoway in the White Mountains.

No one else would attain this feat until Thomas W. Kensler of Cambridge, Massachusetts finished them atop Mansfield on August 3rd, 1964.

i hope this is specific enough. LOL.
Indeed it is, I assume the number of finishers were pretty low until at least the '80?

^^^^^
Pretty much.

The first completer of the 80s was #92 overall while the first completer of the 90s was #176 overall. I was #317 in 1997 and was the last person listed in the 17th edition shown above.

Last edited:
The first completer of the 80s was #92 overall while the first completer of the 90s was #176 overall. I was #317 in 1997 and was the last person listed in the 17th addition shown above.
Does your source includes the Winter finishers too?

So James W.F. Collins of Beverly, MA became the first winter completer atop Panther Peak in the Adirondacks on March 10, 1973. He had previously completed his all season round of the 111 on South Crocker, Maine on March 1st, 1970 and is the 28th overall completer.

Dorothy Myer of South Burlington, Vermont became the first female winter 111er on North Brother, Maine on March 4th, 1985. She was the 6th overall winter 111er and had previously finished her all season round of the 111 on Cabot on May 13, 1974.

The legendary Tom W. Sawyer was winter completer #4, finishing on Bondcliff on March 5th, 1983.

As of the printing of the 17th edition, there were 28 total winter completers

Would be more than happy to send you pics via PM to support everything I’ve written here..

Last edited:
The legendary Tom W. Sawyer was winter completer #4, finishing on Bondcliff on March 5th, 1983.
Was always fun to find old entries of winter bushwhacks from Tom (and Diane) in the ME 3k canisters. I heard he got pretty close to finish the winter 777 but never did. Oncoman is getting close now.