Need Catskills suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lutefisk

Reaction score
Hi Folks. I'm taking a first-time backpacker to the Catskills this week. I'd like to give him a gentle introduction, my thinking being a three-day:

Day one - Short backpack in and set up basecamp
Day two - Dayhike and return to basecamp
Day three - Backpack out

So...I'd love any suggestions you have!

Thank you.

Blackhead may be a good option for you. Start at the end of Big Hollow road (a nice scenic drive in) I will refer to the NY/NJ trail conference map which I hope you would have one, they are the best maps for this region.

take the Black Dome Range trail and stay left to continue on the Batavia Kill trail, you will reach a lean-to that you can use or setup camp nearby. The next day, continue on the batavia Kill trail and turn right on the Escarpment Trail which will lead to the summit of Blackhead with some nice views into the Hudson Valley and the Taconics in the distance. continue right on the Blackhead Mountain trail to the col and then turn right onto the Black Dome Range Trail. When you reach the junction with the Batavia Kill trail turn right to get to camp again.

Camping on top of Giant ledge is very neat too with great views. Summiting Panther the next day.

these are both really neat areas. The hike to Giant ledge would be more difficult with heavy packs because of the elevation gain but the campsite is one of the Catskills best.

My favorite is Echo Lake. Start at the base of the OVerlook Mountain trail, hike to Echo Lake (4.5 miles), set up base camp. If you're lucky you'll get a spot right on the lake. Build a campfire and have a nice night. Day 2 - Hike to Indian Mt...long but not too hard.. then back. Hike out on day 3 and visit the Overlook Mountain fire tower on your way out.

smh444 said:
My favorite is Echo Lake. Start at the base of the OVerlook Mountain trail, hike to Echo Lake (4.5 miles), set up base camp. If you're lucky you'll get a spot right on the lake. Build a campfire and have a nice night. Day 2 - Hike to Indian Mt...long but not too hard.. then back. Hike out on day 3 and visit the Overlook Mountain fire tower on your way out.

That is sure nice but I would think the mileage on that trip to be excessive for a beginner on thier first backpack, certainly not a gentle introduction. Also the ascent of Indianhead is very steep on the east side.

Batavia Kill is a nice spot with some good day hiking options. One other good place for camping sites is by the West Kill in Spruceton. Tent sites start maybe a mile in or less with a good supply of water (and pretty) nearby. Day hikes of Hunter Mt. in one direction or Westkill in the other.

Hope you have fun and good weather wherever you end up!

Diamond Notch leanto, hike in from either the far end of Spruceton Road (the shortest hike but may be a far drive if coming from the south) or from the end of Diamond Notch Road (beware of the drive past the cul-de-sac, it kind of needs a high clearance vehicle). Then after you get to the leanto, you can take a leisurely stroll to the falls and then the next days, you can plan hikes to Hunter, Leavitt peak (SW Hunter), whack to Rusk, etc.. on the last day, you can do West Kill, go back, pack up and hike out..

Jay

All good suggestions above.

The nice thing about Rasgoat's suggestion of Blackhead is that if your friend is still feeling like he can do more on the day hike -- you could add Black Dome and possibly Thomas Cole. BTW while you are at the summit of Blackhead, you might want to continue 110 yards to the south on the Escarpment Trail to the "Camp Steel" viewpoint over the Hudson River, and then return to the summit to continue the loop of Blackhead. Camp Steel dates back to the time the boy scouts owned Blackhead Mt and Camp Harriman (at Lake Capra). The viewpoint is a little overgrown, but still worthwhile.

An alternative way to approach Echo Lake is to start from the Platte Clove Preserve with parking on the south side of the road. If that parking is filled there is also an off road parking area just 0.2 miles east at the trailhead for the Long Path going north. The Long Path (in both directions) follows old roads that initially parallel the old roads shown on the topozone maps. Going south on the Long Path you will arrive at the Devil's Kitchen lean-to in 1.2 miles. That would be a possible camp site if you did not want to backpack all the way to Echo Lake. The hike to the lean-to is described with photos in the Platte Clove "virtual hike" here. From the Devil's Kitchen lean-to you could do an easy day hike to Overlook Mountain (fire tower and hotel ruins) with a side trip to Echo Lake. There is also a good viewpoint at the Cod Fish Point quarry on a short yellow side trail (no trail sign) located at the crest of the gentle climb south of the Devil's Kitchen lean-to - where the Long Path makes a sharp turn. Cod Fish point is east of the Long Path. On the west side of the LP a few steps to the south you will also find an old quarry road that climbs part way up Plattekill Mt to another bluestone quarry with a view to the north. After you hike out and stow your camping equipment in your vehicle, you could make a short hike on another preserve trail to Plattekill Falls - that is also described in the virtual hike.

Thanks to all! A bunch of great suggestions here; I think we're going to go with smh444's Echo Lake route.

My friend is in pretty good shape, even though he hasn't backpacked before. I think the benefits (good views, lake camping) make the challenge worthwhile. I described it to him and he's up for it so...off we go!