Nerdy RFP(request for proposal)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toe Cozy

Reaction score
Springfield, Springfield!. Avatar: Spruce Peak Kim
For any of you engineer types out there...get cracking and submit your proposal for this. I want a bag that functions well in a 1/4" of H20!
My husband is an engineer and he noticed this request and thought I'd be interested. I thought some of you might find it interesting.

N06-107 TITLE: Development of a Extremely Compact and Lightweight Sleeping Bag

TECHNOLOGY AREAS: Materials/Processes, Human Systems

OBJECTIVE: Current sleeping bags carried by US servicemembers are too bulky and
heavy for extended operations. Recent developments in materials for superior insulation
at lighter weights and reduced loft have not made the transition to the commercial
state of the market in end products (e.g. sleeping bags). The objective is to
combine the advances in construction with the advances in chemistry and production of
insulating materials to reduce the weight and stowed cubic size of the current sleeping
bag system by a minimum of 30%. The product needs to provide a acceptable level of
comfort, heat retention, and internal humidity to the user in an operating range of
80F to -40F with a minimal amount of re-configuration or user adjustment. Must not
require an internal or external power supply or rely on chemical reactions that must
be replaced or reset prior the next sleep cycle. The sleeping bag must be water
resistant and be suitable for use on moist ground or shallow (up to ¼ in.) standing
water. Must be capable of being cleaned by standard laundry methods fifty times over its
life.

DESCRIPTION: The need exists to reduce the weight and volume of equipment carried by
a serviceman. Phase I is the evaluation of the current and emerging materials as
well as evaluating design configuration to produce a sleeping bag that when stored is
less than 104 cubic inches in size and weighs less than 7.22 Lbs. Phase II is the
modeling and construction of conceptual and ergonomic test bags for evaluation and
feedback. This culminates with testing, verification, and corrections to the design.
Phase III is the transfer of design information to and new materials to commercial
manufacturers for production of prototypes for further testing, or full rate production.

PHASE I: Evaluation of current and emerging insulation materials,fabrics and
concepts to determine to optimal combination for this application. This is followed by the
evaluation of possible configurations,designs and construction strategies using the
information developed during the evaluation of materials to support this
application.

PHASE II: Modeling of heat retention and humidity flow by computer simulation,
ergonomic and operator acceptance evaluation of design features by using mockup bags
followed by copper mannequin testing to validate insulation and stability for use
throughout the entire temperature range. During this phase, we anticpate initial
production of prototype bags. Limited user evaluation in test chambers for comfort throughout
temperature range, and iterative feedback incorporated in design until requirement
parameters are met.

PHASE III: Provide technical expertise and aid in the transfer of design and
materials evaluation to a commercial producer for limited production supporting a field
user evaluation for the military.

PRIVATE SECTOR COMMERCIAL POTENTIAL/DUAL-USE APPLICATIONS: Technology and designs
would have direct crossover to the commercial camping equipment sector and the winter
clothing market. Current state of the market does not support this requirement.

REFERENCES:
1. Current Sleeping Bag Specifications (MARCORSYSCOM-CID-93-A-A50603)

2. Standard Test Method for Measuring Thermal Insulation of Sleeping Bags Using a
Heated Manikin (F1720-96(2004))

3. Standard Test Method for Measuring Sleeping Bag Packing Volume (F1853-03)

4. Standard Test Method for Flammability of Sleeping Bags F1955-99(2005)

5. Standard Test Method for Dimensional Changes in Commercial Laundering of Woven
and Knitted Fabrics Except Wool AATCC Test Method (96-2004)

6. Anthropometry of US Military Personnel (DOD-HDBK-743A)

7. Environmental Engineering Considerations and Laboratory Tests (Mil-Std-810f)

KEYWORDS: Sleeping bag; Insulation; Fabrics; Cold; Modeling; Simulation

TPOC: James Jackson
Phone: (703)432-3338
Fax:
Email: [email protected]