New England Trail: Part Five (and final)-- Connecticut!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guthook

Reaction score
Hello again. This will be the final installment of the trip report from the trip in October. Now that I'm done with this, I've got to come up with something new to do.

Well, I hope you enjoy these. If anyone has a crazy notion to try a similar hike, I have plenty of ideas that might make the trip more easier to plan (first of all, go Northbound rather than Southbound!). But in the meantime, enjoy the report :)

IMG_0761.JPG

We entered Connecticut with sunny skies, cool weather, and a long road walk on a road that was not friendly to pedestrians at all. By this point in the trip we were basically ready to go home, and two miles of stomping on pavement didn't help to motivate us at all. Luckily, once we got back onto a trail our feet were happy again, and we made our way to several nice cliffs with views of the Connecticut countryside. We were surprised to see so much forest out there, but within a day we would be in a much more populated area.

IMG_0766.JPG

After several nice views from the cliffs, we crossed the Farmington River and walked into the town of Tariffville for the night. We camped out in the town park, right by the tennis courts, and went into the town for a dinner in the local pub. It was a bizarre camping situation at the time, but it turned out to be one of the best in the entire state.

A weather forecast we'd looked at a few days earlier had said we would have fine weather all the way until the end of the hike, but as we left Tariffville there were thick clouds in the sky. Then it started to drizzle, and didn't stop until late the next night. The first day of wetness was okay, although it continued to sap our motivation. There were no views, the trail was muddy and slick, and underneath the thick layer of fallen leaves were jagged rocks reminiscent of the Pennsylvania section of the Appalachian Trail. To make a long story short, it was hell for the feet.

The other part of the trail that started to wear on us was that the trail had us wandering through suburban backyards and between mansions that looked anything but friendly. Since the Metacomet Trail passes very close to Hartford, and neither are protected with any kind of public land (aside from a few state parks they pass through), the trails are almost constantly being relocated and forced to find a route that is less than ideal. So we ended up sandwiched between electric fences, No Trespassing signs, paved driveways, and interstate onramps for a major part of the trail. With few views, two days of increasing rain, and some pretty terrifying road crossings, we began to wish the trail would just end.

IMG_0778.JPG

By Wednesday afternoon, as we neared the end of the Metacomet trail, it seemed the trail had been completely abandoned. We walked a few miles following nearly invisible blazes through a maze of fallen trees and ankle-deep swamp, and finally pushed through a thick wall of brambles into a natural gas line clearing. It had been raining steadily all day, and the gas line had been recently mowed, so there was no path across it– just an extremely muddy wasteland, churned into a hazardous soup by the heavy machinery that had cleared the area no more than a few days earlier. We spent over half an hour wandering up and down the clearing in an attempt to find anything resembling a trail. Eventually, Gary found the trail, which continued only a few hundred yards to a road where the blazes ended entirely, but luckily the map guided us from there.

That night we were soaked to the bone, dispirited, tired, and ready to go home. But the skies cleared in the middle of the night, and a strong wind managed to dry us out, although the ground was still pretty soggy.

On Thursday morning, the clouds were still thick, but we could see breaks in them as we moved along. Soon after the sun came out, we happened upon a diner where the trail crossed a major road. It was exactly noon, so we stopped for burgers and shakes, relieved to have good weather for the last few days of the trail. And the trail had been easy to follow all morning, unlike the scary moments the day before. It looked like things might end well.

IMG_0783.JPG

We continued in sunny weather with few views except for a few cliffs behind major suburban developments. It was a bit nightmarish for me, although Gary was more used to this kind of area. We ended the day with a quick shuttle to Sleeping Giant State Park from one of Gary's coworkers. My extensive planning in the beginning of the trip had completely missed the 8 to 10 mile road walk between the Mattabesett Trail and Sleeping Giant. We stopped at a Subway and grabbed some extra snacks and sandwiches (one for dinner, one for lunch the next day), and finished the day at one of our best campsites so far.

Friday was easy as pie. We practically ran along the Quinnipiac Trail and the Regicides Trail, going over Sleeping Giant and West Rock Ridge. Besides our first day in Connecticut, those two hills were the most scenic and well-maintained as far as the trails go. Otherwise, there's not much to say about our last day on the trail. We got to the end of the Regicides Trail at 1:30 and sat down to eat our sandwiches. They may have been cheap Subway subs, but they tasted like manna from heaven, with the knowledge that we would soon be home. We didn't even care that our little picnic area was scattered with broken beer bottles and full of city noises from New Haven below us.

IMG_0797.JPG

We took the access trail from West Rock down to a city park with a baseball field and some park benches, where I called my friend who was on his way through New Haven to pick me up, and Gary tried to call for a cab to the train station. That wasn't quite the end of the adventure, but we were done hiking, ready to go home.

Great report

Did you camp in Sleeping Giant or did you get into the woods on the Quinnipiac trail on York Mountain (where it splits with Regicides)? It is a great area, although it is so close to a city.

Did you follow the blue trail west out of Sleeping Giant over Rocky Top? Or did you take the Farmington Canal path to SHerman. There is an area where the Q trail comes out on Rocky Top that was illegaly logged. did you cross this area? How was it?

Thanks for your photos and account, which bring back pleasant memories of a group trek of the Conn. portion of the New England Trail in 2006-07 - seven day-hikes organized by Tramper Al. Dugan and I joined him for all seven, while Poison Ivy, Silentcal, rocksnrolls, Cumulus, weatherman, Jade and others were along for some of them. We had a better time of it than you, thanks to good weather on all of our hikes. You missed many fine views, I'm sorry to say, nor did we have major problems following the Metacomet or Mattabesett Trails, although there were some obscurely marked junctions where the Trail traversed networks of ATV/woods trails, where we went off course and had to back-track some.

My extensive planning in the beginning of the trip had completely missed the 8 to 10 mile road walk between the Mattabesett Trail and Sleeping Giant.

Al astutely enlisted Paul G., the proprietor of the N.E. Trail website, to guide us through this "gap." He lives near there, had scouted it and led us through a patchwork of farm and woods tracks, a little bushwhacking and less than a mile of road-walk.

From the downtown New Haven parks and Yale Bowl (where we witnessed part of the second half of the Game, which was being played that Sat. afternoon in November), we continued on 2 miles through a gritty section of SW New Haven to Bradley Point in West Haven - an attractive beach on Long Island Sound.

You did this the hard way, I'd say, camping on a route where I wouldn't have been sure that would be feasible, but you saved a ton of driving (as most of us were from Mass.) Thanks again for recounting a memorable adventure (all of your reports).

Last edited:
Great report

Did you camp in Sleeping Giant or did you get into the woods on the Quinnipiac trail on York Mountain (where it splits with Regicides)? It is a great area, although it is so close to a city.

Did you follow the blue trail west out of Sleeping Giant over Rocky Top? Or did you take the Farmington Canal path to SHerman. There is an area where the Q trail comes out on Rocky Top that was illegaly logged. did you cross this area? How was it?

Thanks, Puck. We camped at the east end of Sleeping Giant State Park, so on the other side from York Mountain. We walked on roads around Rocky Top, because the Connecticut Forests website mentioned that the trail over it might be closed because of that cut. It was a relatively easy road walk, and we could see what looked like a major construction site on Rocky Top from Sleeping Giant, so we didn't want to chance it.

Amicus: You're quite right that the weather was a huge factor! As for the route between Mattabesett and Sleeping Giant, Paul mentioned the route to us as well, but by the time we got near there we were butting up against a scheduled pick-up in New Haven.... and we just wanted to get the hike over with :)
I wonder if that New England National Scenic Trail spur path from the Mattabesett Trail to Guilford will be built anytime soon. If so, I think that would make a pretty sweet ending point instead of right in the city. Maybe next time.... Also, it would be nice if there were real campsites along the way. Hard to do with all the private property and road walks near the city, though. Oh well, maybe next time!

Cheers!

Just hiked Sleeping Giant on Sat with my nephew...we went up the Blue trail(?) which was a rock scramble up the back of the Giants Head...nice windy day, wouldn't want to go up that when it's slippery without traction....we went to the tower and had lunch....parking lot was packed when we left...went to have a beer at BRU in New Haven....i was there doing a www.viewsandbrews.com trip....5 done in CT, 4 more....also did Ragged Mtn and Peoples State Forest on Friday in the drizzle...I like CT...

I read on the New England tral site that the proposed route throughNew Haven is to bring the trail through SLeeping Giant and then through the Quinnipiac River Marsh and connect to the East side and then finish in Lighthouse point park. That could be interesting.

I've read your reports, and gone thru all your pics, and I'm finally taking the time to comment. Well done!! A trip like this is something I'd love to do sometime. I'd like to try it south to north. :)

A trip like this is something I'd love to do sometime. I'd like to try it south to north. :)

I think south to north is the best way to hike the trail. I was stuck doing it southbound because of my work schedule, but I think it would be much easier to deal with, and probably a bit more fun-- ending with the Cohos Trail rather than in the city. Anyway, definitely go for it! I'd be glad to help out with some of the planning if you decide to try it.