New Jetboil pot support & stabilizer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAYDK

Reaction score
I was looking at jetboils web site and saw that on May 1st they will be selling a new accessory , a pot support and stabilizer . This will hopefuly increase the usefulness of my stove, other than boiling water two cups of water at a time. http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Accessories

Thanx for the heads up on this one.I have been using my JetBoil mainly as a Bivy Stove. This new accessory will definitely open up the Menu.

Thanks letting us know and for the link. Just what was needed, finally. I'm so looking forward to this I can't wait!

Hmmm

Thanks Haydk,

I also admire their new four season mix fuel so that i can also finally use my stove in cold weather. Gee... someone got smart over there in Guild, NH

I was considering buying a Jetboil anyhow, and in fact started a thread recently asking about them. I got some positive response on that thread, and now it looks like they're trying to make it an even more versatile piece.

Matt

I can't wait , wish I could preorder one . Let's see stir fry , pancakes , scrambled eggs ,omlettes ............. etc etc etc

Sherpa John, where did you see anything about a 4-season mix? I checked the Jetboil website and found nothing....
I would love to find a canister fuel that works in the winter.
Thanks
Bill

CrisisBill said:
I would love to find a canister fuel that works in the winter.
Pure propane. However the pressure is high enough that the tank must be made of heavy steel.

There used to be (70s?) a stove that ran off a propane torch tank.

Doug

I use my jetboil as my late spring to early fall stove . Just too much fussing to use it when the temperature dips . I switch over to my MSR whisperlite for water boiling and cooking. Tom

I just checked a Jetboil cannister I bought last week -- the 4 season mix is IsoButane/Propane.
btw: until Sunday, REI has Jetboils for $60

-- Jim

Last edited:
jbreen said:
I just checked a Jetboil cannister I bought last week -- the 4 season mix is IsoButane/Propane.
Better than pure butane, but still marginal in winter. Also the propane tends to burn off first leaving a partially full canister of butane.

Doug

I picked up my Pot Support and stabilizer today, I'll take it out on Sat and test it. So far I love my Jetboil, this new feature should really make a good product great!

Sold!

I have been putting off the jetboil becasue of the lack of ability to do anything but boil water (as I know many others did as well) but that's it. I am now sold in it.
Now, what is this 4 season gas I read about? Just iso-butane?

New Jetboil Pot support & Stabilizer ( PT ) Arrived Today

-- The stabilizer is made out of plastic and is triangle shaped until you fold out its 3 legs.
The feet have a rubbery bottom so they don’t slide. There are two sets of hooked notches
on the top of the legs. The inner set hold a Jetboil canister 3.53 fl oz / 100g . The outer
hooked notches holds an MSR fuel canister 8 fl oz / 227 g . Thank you Jetboil for
making it hold either size fuel canister .
-- Pot support is circular shaped , made of stainless (rivets may be steel – magnetic) . It
has 4 metal supports that swing out. On the bottom of each of these supports is a notch
that rides the rim of the Jetboil burner base . There is a very small semicircular notch
on the inner circle of the pot support that goes where the piezo igniter is ( could keep
it from being damaged if it was misaligned)

STORAGE :

-- The metal pot support wings are folded in , and stored upright on top of a
Jetboil fuel canister. The fuel canister and pot support are then placed in
the cooking cup.
-- The stabilizer folds into its triangle shape and is stored upside down , in the
burner base , then placed in the cooking cup , on top of the pot support & fuel
canister.

After doing a little testing , I would not use my pot support and stabilizer to boil
water in a pot.
THE TEST :
 Set up fuel canister (partial), pot support, stabilizer and burner base.
 Poured 2 cups water into an MSR 1.5 liter blacklite pot ( no cover)
 Air temperature was ~ 56 degrees
 Ignited stove and started timing.
 During testing stove sputtered and went out ( still a bit of fuel left in the canister) ??? Bad fuel canister ???
 Set up with new fuel canister and started test over.
 Stove lit right away and burned strong ( for a Jetboil )
 After 10 minutes the water did not reach a full rolling boil!!!!
 Switched to the Jetboil cooking cup setup with 2 cups of fresh tap water , the stove reached a full rolling boil in about 4 to 5 minutes.
RESULTS:
 Would not use Jetboil pot support and pot to boil water
 Bad fuel canister may have affected test that I did with my Jetboil on Poke O Moonshine this winter.In that test , I kept a fuel canister ( The one I just found out was bad ) under my fleece and windbreaker as I hiked.The stove sputtered and went out many times , but I was able to boil water for cocoa.
I will try frying an egg or omelet on it this weekend.
This winter I will retest my Jetboil.

I will still use my white gas MSR Whisperlite in the winter for water and cooking.

Tom