New Poster- Have you used the EMS Summit PL?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJax

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post here. I've recently become interested in hiking, and my girlfriend and I are taking our first trip next weekend: a day hike in the catskills, probably Slide Mountain. I would like to pick up a mid-sized and inexpensive pack for the first trip, and if we decide to become more involved in the sport I can always upgrade to a bigger/better one.

My question is this: has anybody here ever used the EMS Summit PL? The large size is 2500 cu.in. with a 19-22" torso, includes a 3-liter nalgene reservoir with hose and bite valve, and is only 100 bucks. Is this a decent pack to start out on a few summer day hikes? I figure it'll be big enough to pack a pullover for each of us, a change of dry clothes, our food, water, flashlights, etc etc with some room left over.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I've enjoyed reading your trip reports and other discussions, perhaps I'll be posting my own report soon!

Welcome BigJax.

EMS makes good stuff and has a great customer service policy. I don't know the pack you have mentioned but I don't think you can go wrong with that deal. Map and compass and a small first aid kit should also be on your list, and plenty of water!

Have fun! You'll be a hiking fool and advice pro in no time.

I use the 3000cu Summit PL (last years model) and have had no problems with it. It's probably not the lightest of packs but has plenty of adjustment and is well made.

Packs and bodies are all different and what works for me might not work for you. I would recommend spending plenty of time in the store trying alternative packs, loading each up with the weight bags they have in the stores.

On that note, last time I was in EMS I notice they now have stuff sacks of various sizes with the weights and other packing in to simulate various loads. Very useful.

Load up, try on and walk about. All the stores I've been in have always had very helpful staff.

Bob

Thanks for the info Bob, I'm going to an EMS store after work today. It seems that the consensus on the topic is to just try on as many as you can until one feels comfortable. I'm a tall guy, 6'3"-6'4"ish; I wonder if that will limit the options available to me. I have been wondering if I shouldn't get a smaller daypack for now, maybe 1800 cu.in. or so, and upgrade if and when we decide to go for an overnighter. However, at $80 for an 1800 it just seems to make more sense to to spend the extra 20 bucks and get the extra 15 liters of cargo room.

Doc- I have a feeling you're right, the hiking bug will bite me hard and fast!

Big Jax - I am 6'1" and have both the Summit TL and the Summit PL (am an old brother of the apron)

What I have found is that both packs generally cannot adequately handle more than 25 lbs without feeling terribly uncomfortable.

They look great and the materials are somewhat rugged, however, the cinch straps leave little to be desired when trying to tighten down a smaller load.

For a taller or taller person, the loadlifters don't really work that well, though they say it will fit up to around 6'2".

I do really like the ability to get to anything within the panel load in a flash, versus the TL, though the Top Load is somewhat more weather resistant.

There is a reason why your comment holds water "However, at $80 for an 1800 it just seems to make more sense to to spend the extra 20 bucks and get the extra 15 liters of cargo room. "

That is that the packs are not as well made as others - Gregory, Dana, Marmot, Lowe Alp, Osprey and a few others - Yes, EMS will guarantee that pack forever, but so will the others. Odds are that there is a greater propensity to bring an EMS pack in for repair than any of the others I mentioned.

If you are going to use it for the next decade, then why not forget price momentarily and focus on fit and comfort - Find something you'll truly love and not loathe because "....it was such a great deal... I couldn't afford not to get it.."

If you are keeping a pack for 10 years - Isn't fit and comfort worth more than $10/year

Good luck on your decision - And if you feel for any reason dissatisfied with your purchase when you get home, take it back and get something that fits better.

Last edited:
The great thing about EMS is you can return just about anything. The best way to try a pack out is on the trail. If it fits and causes no discomfort keep it. If note bring it back. I had to go through four packs before I found one that I love. It does happen to be an EMS pack.
Good Luck and happy hiking

Thanks for all the replies, they were very helpful.

Rick- my only concern for going immediately to a top-end pack is that I'm not POSITIVE that I'll be using it for the next decade. The fact is that we are excited as heck to get out on the trail, but....it'll essentially be our first hike. If I finish off the year and am as in love with hiking as I think I'll be, I'll jump up to different pack and price won't be as much of an issue. What I wanted now was a quality, low-priced option that could last a year or two and get me through my extreme beginner phase.

FWIW I went with the summit PL and will be taking it up to Slide Mountain's summit next Saturday, weather permitting. It'll just be a day hike, and I'll probably have 15lbs in the pack including the 100oz of water. I'll report when we get back.