Mt Cabot FOF

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uphillklimber

Reaction score
Date(s) Hiked:September 7 and 8

Trails(s) Hiked: York Pond, Bunnell Notch, Kilkenny Ridge

Total Distance:11.6

Difficulty:Moderate

Conditions:Dry, cloudy (fog) at peak

Special Required Equipment: Lots of water containers as water source was distant

Trip Report:

We started this trip on Friday Morning. We had both managed to get the day off. We packed up in less than an hour and hit the road, grabbed an Italian and chips and were at the trail head at noon. Some things to remember about klimbing this peak. The Cabot trail is closed due to a dispute between the USFS and the landowner, so other trails must be taken. We chose the Bunnell Notch trail off the York Pond road. We checked the book, the rangers and the sign at the gate. They all said the gate was locked at 4 PM and unlocked at 8 AM. So we figured to park outside the gate. We were flying the flag from noon to 2, and no way would we make it back to the car by 4. So I dropped off my wife, the dog and the packs at the trailhead, drove the car back (2 miles exactly by our odometer) and walked back to the trailhead to start the hike.

We have planned to stay overnight at the cabin near the peak. But, just in case it is full, we bring a tent. And knowing that cabins have hard bunks, or well packed tent sites, we bring both our ridge rests and thermarests. Also, we are prepared to load more water on the way up, as there is no mention of reliable water up there. Seems the tops of mountains seldom have water, it all runs downhill!

The hike starts out flat. As you go in, the first trail junction has a sign that says the wood stove has been removed from the cabin. From there, you can see the peak, looming not too far away. For some reason, I have it in my head that this is a 4 mile hike, when in reality it is 5.8 miles, with an elevation gain of between 2000 and 2500 feet. This part of the trail is through an old logging road, overgrown with raspberries, very narrow. The lekis are used to push the bushes back to avoid scratching our legs. Then, I happen upon a dead animal right in the middle of the trail, about the size of a raccoon. It is covered with these dull orange stinging things, which I did not wish to observe too long. I decide a trip around it, through the raspberries, bare legs and all, is a great idea!

Our next trail junction is where we leave the logging road and get in the woods. There is just a post with an arrow on it. We had passed a similar post earlier at a fork in the logging road. It gets suddenly steeper. Did I mention that this day is well into the 80's and humid? We are soon dripping. The trail leads by a stream, the upper Ammonusic, I believe. The dog is getting plenty to drink along the way.

I am watching the water, and know that there is little or no water above the intersection of the Kilkenny Ridge trail and the Bunnell Notch trail. We are now on the Kilkenny Ridge trail. We tie the dog to a tree, leaving her in reach of both packs to keep the squirrels at bay, and we give her the last of our water in a dish to drink. We are somewhat surprised at the amount of water we have drunk so far. Generally speaking, our camelbacks will get us all the way to our destination, and then some. (We are carrying a bit more weight than normal, the trail is a bit steeper than others we have done, and it is hot and humid) So we grab our filter, camelbacks and nalgenes. (The nalgenes had powder in them for lemonade and Gatorade.) We pick up over 12 lbs of water and load them in our packs, and encourage the dog to drink. Then we are off.

Now we have all this extra weight on our backs, and the trail gets just a little bit steeper. What a heartbreaker! It is difficult to come up with a sustainable pace. We hike a couple hundred feet, stop and get our breath; repeat. Then there are the switch backs, and the peak always appearing to be oh-so-close. Are we ever ever gonna end this drudgery?

Finally, I see the cabin near the peak. We go in, and it is a welcome layover. A bit rustic, but home for the night! We can see where the wood stove, has indeed, been removed. We were to see pieces of it, broken and scattered about the site, some used for the fire circle. The table and benches are nailed in place. The table and counters are covered in tin, to keep the carving down, no doubt. The bunks have Ridgerests nailed in place. We look at that and both think we'll have plenty of padding to sleep on. We are also thinking that we carried the tent and extra bed padding up for nothing...... That and all the water we dragged up also. Better to have it and not need it.....

We look around and see a rain water barrel set under the edge of the roof. We can wash up and boil water for cooking! And we brought up all this water for...... My wife rolls out the bedding and zips the bags together, I start cooking. The dog is not interested in her food, she want ours. After we eat, we dump her food in our bowls and swish them around in the sauce. She eats heartily. I boil up some water and wash the dishes up good. We are reading up on notes on the walls and viewing the pics of the cabin from the past, and we see: Spring is 1/3 mile towards the peak, take a right at the sign and 300 feet in is the spring. (Once again, we lugged all this water up here for.......) I am well aware that one persons 300 feet is another's 600 feet. I hiked down that trail a good 600 feet or so, and nothing. It is dry as can be. The trail is maintained, blow downs being cut away and all. I never find the spring, and conclude this must be an alternate trail down the mountain. Okay, now I am happy that we lugged all this water up to the peak!

A couple notes about the rain barrel. It is a 45 gallon plastic barrel under the roof edge. There is a valve drilled and caulked into the bottom of the barrel. And there is a wet spot under the valve. The water level in the barrel is even with the valve. I tighten the valve, it is already tight. The setting of the valve is what leaks. So there about 10 inches of water in the barrel. I am thankful for that much water. Also, we see under the porch, a gutter with an angle iron attached, which certainly appear to be intended to direct water into the barrel. I find no mounting brackets or ladder, so I can not hook this back up.

It is windy at night. In the valley, we can clearly see Lancaster and a nearby airport. There is a raised topo map on the table. We play with the compass and locate several landmarks. The door is rattling in the breeze, so I grab the rock on the porch and close the door, which has a rope on the inside. I wind her as tight as I can, then lean the rock on the door. End of rattling!

In the morning, the peak is socked right into the clouds, no visibility. The intention is to fly the flag on the peak for all to see from noon to 2 PM in memorial to the 9-11 victims. We flew the flag alright, but few would see it this time. We met several others on the peak. There were a couple of hikers who were just finishing up their 48th peak of the NH48. An older couple made it to the top. He chatted with us a bit while waiting for her. As soon as she made it up, he said here we are, at the peak. She said Good, now let's go down. He says good talking with you, see you later. We all get a good laugh out of that! We have a bit of a ceremony up top. This is also Pedxing's final peak of the NH 48. I had attempted to pick up a patch for him, commemorating the accomplishment, but they do not hand out these patches. They must be earned and documented. So I give him the paperwork to file for his patch.

In conversation, Pedxing tells us that the gate will be open until 10 PM today. He offers to ferry all of us and Chad to our cars when we hit the bottom, as we had parked 2 miles from the trailhead. We made good time to the bottom, about 2 1/2 hours with over weight packs. We figure I was pushing 50 lbs. with full water load, and she was pushing 40. On the way out, we check out the fish growing in the hatchery. So many fish....... The ride home is uneventful, with a stop at Burger king for chow.

Last edited:
Nice report, sounds like a fine trip for a good cause.

The Cabot trail is closed due to a dispute between the AMC and the landowner, so other trails must be taken.
Just to clarify, the dispute is between a landowner and the USFS, the AMC isn't involved.

-dave-

David Metsky said:

Just to clarify, the dispute is between a landowner and the USFS, the AMC isn't involved.

-dave-

Thanx for the clarification. I have only read that the AMC was involved, did not know that. I was a wondering how the AMC was involved in such a dispute. Turns out it wasn't.

"We checked the book, the rangers and the sign at the gate. They all said the gate was locked at 4 PM and unlocked at 8 AM. So we figured to park outside the gate. We were flying the flag from noon to 2, and no way would we make it back to the car by 4. So I dropped off my wife, the dog and the packs at the trailhead, drove the car back (2 miles exactly by our odometer) and walked back to the trailhead to start the hike."

I have driven out through the gate after 4 pm many times, finding the gate closed, but not locked. The first time that this happended, I did not realize that the closed gate was unlocked until I walked up to the house to ask for assistance in getting out. The folks at the house were really kind. I think that the main concern is keeping hunters out of the area at night.

David Metsky said:
I consider this an exceptionally poor report, full of misinformation. The poster may not know any better but you should, Dave.

* By reading any of several Mt Cabot notes on this site, it can be learned that the gate hours on the sign are not the true gate hours and apparently the gate is presently broken and can't be closed at all. (The guy I talked to at the hatchery said it was kayakers and fishermen they didn't want after hours.)

* Similarly, although mention of the summit spring was unaccountably deleted from the AMC WMG its location and perpetual nature can also be found on this site.

I'm glad the poster had a good time on this project but I hope that future hikers will avoid some of his errors through better information.

RoySwkr said:
I consider this an exceptionally poor report, full of misinformation. The poster may not know any better but you should, Dave.

* By reading any of several Mt Cabot notes on this site, it can be learned that the gate hours on the sign are not the true gate hours and apparently the gate is presently broken and can't be closed at all. (The guy I talked to at the hatchery said it was kayakers and fishermen they didn't want after hours.)

* Similarly, although mention of the summit spring was unaccountably deleted from the AMC WMG its location and perpetual nature can also be found on this site.

I'm glad the poster had a good time on this project but I hope that future hikers will avoid some of his errors through better information.

Roy, I did quite a bit of perusing of this site for recent reports about Cabot. Everything I have stated is factual, as it happened.

I found nothing that told me the hours on the gate were different than the book stated. At that point, I called the Ranger station, and they restated what the book said. The sign at the gate said 8 AM to 4 PM. With all that, the gate was actually open anyways.

I also asked about water supply, as I found no mention of water supply on this site either (and others). The Ranger station informed me that Bunnell Brook was the source. I saw, over the door header of the cabin, a note about the spring. I chased the spring, for what seemed like 500-600 feet, while the note over the door header said 300 feet. (I am a carpenter, so I have a good idea of distance). Bear in mind, we had hauled up plenty of water, it was getting dark, and it seemed there was no active spring, though there was a maintained trail.

Once again, everything I have stated is as it happened, good and bad, but nothing I have stated is a lie. I am so sorry I do not have a report of a perfect hike to present to you, and that I have not lived up to your expectations. But thru the errors of my way, perhaps other hikers can do so much better than I did.

Since you are so aware of all the information that is available here on this website, that I was totally incapable of finding, would you be so kind as to point out where this information is located?

Thanks for your participation in Flags. Mt. Cabot does not draw the crowds that other peaks get for this event. Your participation on the out of the way Cabot proves that the spirit of this event is not going anywhere soon!

Thanks Again!

uphillklimber said:
Everything I have stated is factual, as it happened.
I chased the spring, for what seemed like 500-600 feet, while the note over the door header said 300 feet.
Since you are so aware of all the information that is available here on this website, that I was totally incapable of finding, would you be so kind as to point out where this information is located?
Bob, I'm sorry if you thought I was calling you a liar as I didn't intend to. What I wanted to avoid was somebody else just looking for recent reports of Cabot and accepting some of the stuff you said about general conditions.

As for the spring, I believe the AMC guide said it was .2 mi which was about how far it seemed to me. I understand why if you thought it was only 300 feet that you gave up, but I feel it important that future readers of this note know that the spring does exist. So while your statement that you didn't find the spring was entirely factual your implication that it didn't exist was misleading. I could make a similar analogy as to what you said about the gate. And I'm not sure why you called the Forest Service who have nothing to do with the gate instead of the State Fish Hatchery which closes it.

The best way at present to find information on this site is to use the Search function, and I think "Cabot gate" or "Cabot spring" might find what you need. I have tried to get the owner of this site to treat it as an information resource and make it easier to find stuff, but he views the site as more of a chat room and it's him that pays the bills. Dave Metsky and Mohamed Ellozy also have fine sites with 4k info. Because I am presently on 28k dialup I'm not going to actually run the search or look up the URL for these sites but I'll bet somebody will :)

-rs

RoySwkr said:
Bob, I'm sorry if you thought I was calling you a liar as I didn't intend to. What I wanted to avoid was somebody else just looking for recent reports of Cabot and accepting some of the stuff you said about general conditions.

As for the spring, I believe the AMC guide said it was .2 mi which was about how far it seemed to me. I understand why if you thought it was only 300 feet that you gave up, but I feel it important that future readers of this note know that the spring does exist. So while your statement that you didn't find the spring was entirely factual your implication that it didn't exist was misleading. I could make a similar analogy as to what you said about the gate. And I'm not sure why you called the Forest Service who have nothing to do with the gate instead of the State Fish Hatchery which closes it.

The best way at present to find information on this site is to use the Search function, and I think "Cabot gate" or "Cabot spring" might find what you need. I have tried to get the owner of this site to treat it as an information resource and make it easier to find stuff, but he views the site as more of a chat room and it's him that pays the bills. Dave Metsky and Mohamed Ellozy also have fine sites with 4k info. Because I am presently on 28k dialup I'm not going to actually run the search or look up the URL for these sites but I'll bet somebody will :)

-rs

Roy, Didn't you post:

I consider this an exceptionally poor report, full of misinformation.

This is what, some 800 to 1000 word report, and you point out a couple of errors and proclaim it is full of misinformation. My goodness, you're setting the bar a bit high there aren't you. FULL OF MISINFORMATION!!! Yes, Dave Metsky corrected the dispute, but that is what I had read. Guess I should have said "According to ....."

I have no problem with correction of errors, much like Dave did, who has been a wealth of info, that I have received info from in the past. I have a great deal of respect for Dave.

As far as the spring goes, if you actually read my report in full, you may have noticed that I posted

"We are reading up on notes on the walls and viewing the pics of the cabin from the past, and we see: Spring is 1/3 mile towards the peak, take a right at the sign and 300 feet in is the spring. (Once again, we lugged all this water up here for.......) I am well aware that one persons 300 feet is another's 600 feet. I hiked down that trail a good 600 feet or so, and nothing. It is dry as can be. The trail is maintained, blow downs being cut away and all. I never find the spring, and conclude this must be an alternate trail down the mountain. Okay, now I am happy that we lugged all this water up to the peak!"

Perhaps I should have added a small TIC (Tongue in cheek). I was also hoping that if someone was aware of the location of the spring, they would chime in with some more exact directions to the spring, for future users. Perhaps you could tell us exactly where you found the spring on your hike up there? I.E. did the trail end abrubtly at the spring, or did it continue past? And how was the water flow? If it is in fact 2/10 of a mile down, I sure didn't go down far enough.

You seem well versed on the search function, but won't run it with the slow dial up. I understand. I wouldn't either. But I did use the search function, (I have cable modem) looking for reports on water, and came up short on info. Oh well, I'll just lug up extra water. Maybe I'll search a little more next time..... A heavy pack is great incentive for better study. LOL!!! (Trying to add some inflection here).

Just an observation, most folks when they say that info is so readily available at this site, why didn't you look it up, would give the courtesy of showing the info is located right here_________________.

The reason I called the forest service is because I had their number, and they seemed to be fairly well up on things in that neck of the woods. Pretty much, when I read in a book something, hear the same thing from a ranger, read it again in other reports, and they all say the same thing, and I read the posted sign, and it says the same thing....... Have you ever asked a guy if the sign there that says "whatever" really means "whatever"? Wouldn't you feel like an idiot asking ????

In any case, information is shared as a result of this whole thing. The note on the cabin door header surely seems inaccurate at 300 feet down the hill, Roy suggests that it is closer to 1100 feet down (2/10 mile).

No hard feelings Roy.