New slide on Greylock?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got an email back from Alec Gillman, a Supervisor at the Greylock Reservation. I had emailed the DCR about any info they have on the date of the slide, and this was his reply;

On Apr 21, 2009, [email protected] wrote:

Tom,

The 150 yard-long, 40 foot-wide landslide you are referencing was created on October 8, 2005, in conjunction with a severe rain event that made for a very soggy Columbus Day weekend.

Nice photos of the area. Would you be willing to allow us to archive them for future reference? Provenance and credit would be attributed to you. Thanks.

Alec Gillman, Visitor Services Supervisor
Mount Greylock State Reservation
P.O. Box 138, Lanesborough, MA 01237
Phone: (413) 499-4262; Fax: (413) 442-3364

I decided to try and find the 'new' slide that I had seen from MGRHS last week, before the trees leaf out and the black flies break out. Ed Seguin and I started the day by getting the view from the high school again. This time I noticed the slide wasn't as pronounced as it was last week. I wrote it off to the angle of the sun.

So into the Hopper we go, following the Money Brook Trail. We headed up the first brook after the Hopper Brook joins the Money Brook. The going wasn't too bad at first, but it got pretty steep after a spell. Eventually, it got downright thick and vertical, which forced us into the brook, which by now was still full of ice. We couldn't see any slide in this brook, and I knew we were in the right drainage. Then it hit me like a rock slide: Duh:eek: I didn't see a slide track from below, I saw this ice in the brook! So after apologizing to Ed for dragging him through all of that, we topped out at the Overlook Trail.

From there, it was down the Notch Road, which is in need of some serious branch removal before they can reopen the road in May. We spied some other slides, or possible slides from the Fitch Overlook, then took the Money Brook Trail back to the Haley Farm. All in all, a great hike in some wild terrain, but no slide. Next time I'll whack down from the road and check out the slide/slab/ice/flumes that can be seen from the Fitch Overlook.

Pics: http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/571386552bXpvzL