New Zealand Tramping Adventures

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtpig67

Reaction score
New Zealand Tramping Experiences

Hello all,

I haven't posted a lot here so far but I thought I would post a little bit about our tramping (NZ speak for hiking) adventures so far here in New Zealand. I thought I would post a few pictures of our tramping adventures to date.

Most of our tramping so far has been in areas that are typically not in the tourist guides and books so it has a very different feel than many of the famous trails and tramping areas on the South Island.

While the South Island has some spectacular mountains and scenery, the N. Island can be just as nice. It is very similar to the way the mountains in the NE US compare to the Rockies and Sierra Mtn in size and terrain. One big difference from the US is the huge variation of scenery and landscapes that can be encountered in a relatively small area. All of these pictures were taken within about 2 hours drive of each other.

Anyways here we go...

This first picture is from the Kaweka Ranges in the East Central part of the N. Island. This was taken in early spring. These mountains are somewhat of a geographic barrier to weather systems and the winds up there can commonly reach speeds of over 120 MPH.

4940954750_52dab6a60d_b.jpg

4940489651_8539522a8f_b.jpg

This one is from a recent tramp in the Ruahine Ranges in the middle of winter. Very wild and rough country. Usually, we never see a single person when up in these mountains.

4940372629_9916c90ecd_b.jpg

This is a picture from the Tararua Ranges which is just to the south of the Ruahines. They are virtually identical in their character. We are lucky to live right between the two ranges so both are easy to get to. Once you get on the open mountain tops you can literally walk for days.

4940369193_d7433e0bf0_b.jpg

One awesome thing about tramping in NZ, is the hut system which is better than anything I have ever experienced. The huts vary from small affairs with simple wood stoves and wooden bunks to something like the following with gas cookers and mattresses. The best part is that they are everywhere.

4940958134_8243920e71_b.jpg

4940371311_6ab5a83378_b.jpg

We have tramped one rather famous trail on the N. Island - the Tongariro Alpine Crossing which has been described as one of the best day hikes in the world. We did this one on Christmas Day last year. It takes a full day, and crosses a very unique landscape in the central N. Island that sits on an active volcano. It has a very moonscape feel and look to it complete with steam rising from the ground and the smell of sulfur in the air. My trusty Limmer Standards worked extremely well in the volcanic rocks encountered which shredded the lightweight boots of some of the people we were with. This is a tramp I highly recommend if you are ever in the country.

4940963882_ef2f1beec9_b.jpg

4940377189_5622aa8555_b.jpg

4940962728_652614389e_b.jpg

4940961624_3012cb21fc_b.jpg

Hitting my picture limit so part II in next post........

Last edited:
These were taken a few weeks ago in the dead of winter (yeah I know - really rough winter here!!) on the east coast of the N. Island at a place called Castle Point. It made for a nice day hike and shows how deserted most of the coastal areas are in many areas and some of the wildlife you have to keep an eye out for.

4940430081_b05b5d836f_b.jpg

4941016224_eaa07fe4ff_b.jpg

4940427593_0fd56a747f_b.jpg

4940426797_4c2763952a_b.jpg

Some areas are very sub-tropical in nature and make it feel like Hawaii or Central American, except without the heat. These were taken in a nature preserve.

4940468121_e692af9cbf_b.jpg

4941056962_3676df7d8f_b.jpg

4940466843_8bdae33769_b.jpg

Tramping here is not without its hazards. A lot of the trails cross private farmland in the lower areas. After a weekend in the mountains, we had this waiting for us right in middle of the place where we were to cross the fence (notice our car in the background). Needless to say we didn't feel like taking our chances outrunning a bull so we took a detour around:D

4940368239_d54c511f89_b.jpg

I will try to post more pictures of further tramps as they occur. I hope you all enjoyed the pictures. If you have any questions about tramping down here, fire away.

Absolutely gorgeous! The colors are spectacular. Does the vegetation color in the fall? Please post some wildflower pics if you can.

I don't know, that's the cutest bull I've ever seen. Cattle make me nervous, and they're all over the place when we hike in Utah.

Some of the trees and vegetation changes and then the leaves fall in fall while a lot of plants stay green (not conifers) year round. The color change is not nearly as vibrant as the NE US in fall. Part of that is due to the climate - we have only had around 4-5 morning frosts all winter where I live now.

There are actually not a lot of wild flowers around here or in most places we have been. There are some small yellow and white ones in the higher alpine areas but they are not that big.

Normally cows don't make me nervous (I grew up around cows on a farm) but bulls are a whole different story. The one in that picture would not even move an inch when we tried to spook it to get it to move.