NH Fire Lookout Tower Quest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anybody know how many fire tower peaks in the Whites (or in NH) have public access? Are any of them actually being used? Probably not.

In New York, none of the 28 accessible fire towers are in use, although several have been restored and are staffed by volunteers in the summer.

A disused fire tower may not be protecting the forest, but I think that visitors can appreciate why the towers were built, and if the tower can be climbed, one can see the same views the the observers had and appreciate the work that was done in the past.

Fifteen are in use from spring to fall as stated in the link RoySwkr provided.

"In 1992, 16 stations were in service, 15 funded by the state and one (Red Hill) by the town of Moultonboro. This continues to be the case today." Quoted from here.

It's very interesting that in New York, fire towers are relics of the past, having been abandoned decades ago for more modern means of fire observation.

I suggest that people who live in or near the Whites should visit these working towers while they are still active, to get a first-hand appreciation of those towers before they too are replaced by other means of fire observation.

Good point AIG. I took my daughter and son regularly to one in Kingston, NH. The tower observers were great taking everyone "upstairs" and pointing out the local landmarks. They also bragged of once in fall, after an early north country snowstorm, of having been able to see through their spotting scope the top of Washington. Unfortunately, not only was the tower closed, but later it was torn down. But Rockrimmon Tower lives on in our memories.

Last edited:
I agree, that 5 seems like just a very few. So, you (or we) can always make our own (stricter rules) and hike them all before sending for the patch. How about that?

Just to add to that, now that I finally have looked carefully over the list (15, right?), hiking them all looks like a lot of fun. I have hiked exactly five to date, though my 5th is Croydon Peak, listed as their 16th, but not included in the 15 due to it's location in a private game reserve.

I believe it was one of our VFTTers who pointed out, on another site, that each and every New Hampshire County has a firetower on this list (again if you allow Croydon #16). So that's pretty nice, too.

Last edited:
AlG said:
Does anybody know how many fire tower peaks in the Whites (or in NH) have public access? Are any of them actually being used? Probably not.
There are probably 100 or more sites in NH that can be accessed by the public, pay $5 for the book for a list :) Maybe 30 still have towers.

Depending on what you consider the White Mtns and whether you count modified towers, there are Smarts, Cannon, Carrigain, Kearsarge North, and Old Speck, climbable by the public but not staffed. There were a lot more in the '70s but FS staff rotate every couple of years and all it takes is a Forest Supervisor worried about liability matched with a Forest Archaeologist who isn't interested in preserving recent history and they're gone forest by forest nationwide.

In New York, none of the 28 accessible fire towers are in use, although several have been restored and are staffed by volunteers in the summer.
Actually the one in Sterling Forest is still staffed in cooperation with the NJ network, he reported 3 rattlesnakes over Memorial Day weekend.
A disused fire tower may not be protecting the forest, but I think that visitors can appreciate why the towers were built, and if the tower can be climbed, one can see the same views the the observers had and appreciate the work that was done in the past.
A Forest Archaeologist from the SE was even promoting leaving the towers standing with stairs removed if you worried about liability, so people down below would get the historic view of the tower. Stinson and Cherry still look scalped to those who remember the towers there.

"In New York, none of the 28 accessible fire towers are in use, although several have been restored and are staffed by volunteers in the summer."

My mistake; In the above comment, I was speaking of the Adirondacks and Catskills, as in the "Fire Tower Quest". Being from Buffalo, I'm not familiar with the NYC/NJ area (Sterling Forest?). In fact, I just found out that the "Gunks" are in New York State! Such a sheltered boy am I. We just never seem to get down in the SE part of this state, as I'm always headed for the Adirondacks to go canoeing or hiking in the mountains.

Has anyone been to the fire tower in Derry? I tried to stop by there this weekend on my way to the Whites and couldn't find it... (I know, how hard can it be to find a fire tower?)

I did find a very steep road with a bar across it along Warner Hill Rd. I didn't feel comfortable walking over it because there was a house about 10 feet away and I was afraid I was trespassing on private property. Just wondered if anyone has been there and if that road is indeed the "auto road" to the fire tower. I could see a large antenna in the yard, but I couldn't see a fire tower at all.

- Ivy

saw these upcoming events also:

Hike - Pequaket Tower
Saturday, July 9 - 8am
Mt. Kearsarge North Trail - North Conway
More info - 603-528-8796

Dave Govatski, Retired USFS and a former fire lookout will lead a hike to Pequaket Tower (Kearsarge North) North Conway. This arduous hike is 6.2 miles in length with a vertical climb of 2,600 feet. Bring plenty of water, lunch, good hiking boots and a good level of fitness.

Meet at the trailhead for the Mount Kearsarge North Trail that is locaed 1.5 miles east of Route 16 on the Hurricane Mountain Road. The role of fire towers in detecting fires and greeting visitors will be discussed.

History of Fire Towers
Saturday, July 9 - 7:30pm
Russell Colbath Historic Site - Albany
More info - 603-528-8796

The History of Fire Towers will be presented by Chris Haartz, Forest Fire Lookout Association, NH Chairman. Rt. 112 Kancamagus Highway, Albany.

Tramper Al said:
I agree, that 5 seems like just a very few. So, you (or we) can always make our own (stricter rules) and hike them all before sending for the patch. How about that?

Just to add to that, now that I finally have looked carefully over the list (15, right?), hiking them all looks like a lot of fun.
Actually the rules allow you to climb 0 and just send $5 for the patch which is probably cheaper than actually going to any :)

It's interesting to see a list on which Cardigan is the hardest peak :) I have a feeling that the low number is designed to encourage families as you can drive up 4 leaving only your choice of 1 short hike. If I had chosen a number for a patch it might have been 12 - those who hate long drives could avoid the Northern 3, afternoon hikers could avoid hikes over a couple miles RT, and real hikers could avoid the lowest 3.

I have done 2 of them after work and they all could be - even Magalloway as the ATV trail up can be hiked in the dark :)

Cantdog, received my package today and there was a cover letter, a certificate with my name printed on it, and the patch.

Did you shake the envelope real good, a friend & I got our patches?

AntlerPeak said:
Is there a time limit on this? I have done a few so is it ok to reach back a few years to count them?
Well, the newest date on mine was 1979 and I got a patch. However my certificate says completed July 1, 2005 :)

The letter is lengthy and tries to spread the message of forest protection. This is nothing new, when the first towers were built the annual report of the state forestry commission gave the number of visitors to each tower a couple of years before it started giving the number of fires spotted.

Does Carrigain count?

I climbed it when it had an enclosed cab. Now it's just an elevated platform. Does climbing Carrigain in the 1970s count?

jjmcgo said:
Does climbing Carrigain in the 1970s count?
I just talked to a guy who went to the forestry HQ in person, they wouldn't count the now-gone Osceola tower or one on private land but just the operating towers on the list. He wrote them a check for $5 and got his patch that way (as allowed by the rules), they wouldn't accept cash and prefer to sell only by mail.

RoySwkr said:
"Once you have visited five different fire towers simply fill out the attached request form and mail it to “Tower Quest Program” at the address that appears on the front of this brochure. In a few weeks you will receive your complimentary Tower Quest patch, certificate, and a letter in recognition of your accomplishment."

I'll bet there's 100 members who could mail this tonight! Let's show we care about the towers!

http://nh.gov/dred/divisions/forest...rotection/documents/CompletebrochureQuest.pdf
The URL for the fire tower quest has changed; it is now Tower Quest Patch Request.