NH/ME weekend trip ideas for a group of young kids?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingmaineac

Reaction score
Hi,

So I'm planning a men and boys type adventure for mid-August and am hoping y'all might have some good suggestions. There will likely be 10-15 people including kids on this trip. The kids will range from ages 5-10.

Here's my ideal weekend:

Friday night: Leave Portland around 5ish and drive 60-90 minutes to a campsite that we could reserve ahead of time. Set up camp, do dinner and campfire, hit the sack.

Saturday: Take down camp and either hit the trail directly from there or drive 15-30 minutes to a trailhead of a trail that is 2-3 miles and VERY easy - basically flat with maybe a couple small ups and downs - preferably near a stream. Ideally, at the end of said "trail" will be a campfire-friendly campsite that will be reserved ahead of time and situated on or extremely near a stream or pond/lake that is suitable for swimming or some creative wading.

Sunday: Breakfast, break down camp, and head back to where the vehicles are parked. Either via the approach route or a loop trail.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Any thoughts on the above group doing the Basin Trail connecting Cold River and Wild River Campgrounds respectively?

Edit: I'm aware of what the map looks like, but was wondering exactly how steep/difficult the section north of Hermit Falls is - thanks in advance!

Any thoughts on the above group doing the Basin Trail connecting Cold River and Wild River Campgrounds respectively?
If you're talking about the one that goes over Rim Junction between the Wild River Valley and Evans Notch, you need to be aware that the Wild River portion of it is in the new Wilderness Area and has a limitation of 10-person group size.

Otherwise that used to be a good group hike for families or beginners.

If you're talking about the one that goes over Rim Junction between the Wild River Valley and Evans Notch, you need to be aware that the Wild River portion of it is in the new Wilderness Area and has a limitation of 10-person group size.

Otherwise that used to be a good group hike for families or beginners.

Thanks for the heads up - which map(s) show the new wilderness boundaries? Also - if we were to split up into two groups based on hiking speed, we'd be all set, right?

Edit: I'm aware of what the map looks like, but was wondering exactly how steep/difficult the section north of Hermit Falls is - thanks in advance!

So I went and hiked this trail today - it is significantly easier when traveling from north to south - but I definitely wouldn't recommend it to for group of inexperienced kids. The trail is COVERED in beech leaves in many places, making it difficult to decide where to step... and coming down or going up the steep section above Hermit Falls is at least intermediate terrain IMO.

So... I'm still looking for a suitable plan...

How about Franconia Brook Tentsite off the Kanc, assuming the water is low enough to ford the East Branch? That's supposed to be a rather large campsite, and Franconia Falls is close by. Boring walk on the bike path or the access road, though.

Looking at that map, I also saw the Sawyer Pond Campsite off of the Sawyer Pond Road, looks like it has lots of tentsites, I have no idea if you could/would want to swim in that pond. The Cater Range/Wild River map for the AMC also has a number of little ponds with campsites that aren't very long hikes.