Nike's Barefoot Sneakers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dropack

Reaction score
Have any of you tried these sneakers, and have they helped you with your hiking.

Last edited:
I read an article in the WSJ about the ad campaign for these. They're geared towards heavy runners (in terms of activity, not weight) - someone who's out for 3-7 miles/day. They're supposed to simulate running barefoot, allowing the toes to spread more than in a conventional running shoe. The folks at Nike are quick to point out they're not the only running shoes you should have......rather something to offer a diff't kinda workout focusing on diff't muscle groups in your feet. IIRC Nike said to start off lightly, maybe a half mile a day, till you can gradually increase the mileage you're able to do in them.

Nothing for $90

Hi,

Leave it up to the marketing people at Nike to come up with a shoe that cost $90 that simulates wearing nothing!!

Mark

Your thoughts echo mine Mark. Initially I liked the commerical (thought it was fairly clever) till I saw it 6x in a half hour span. :confused:

I think the point of the sneaker is to give you some protection so that you can run in more comfort while gaining the added benifits of running bare foot. I use to run barefoot but only in the summer on the beach and also on the athletic fields where I could place my foot without to much worry. I don't have much time to make the beach or go down to the school fields to run, but I could put a pair on for my twenty blocks. I am just wondering if any hikers out there have tried it and has it helped them with their hiking. This is not an endorsment, just a question.
PS: $80.00

This is not an endorsment, just a question.

It's a good/great question. I've often wondered are shoes like white bread and sugar? I.e., have we "evolved" to the point where we're doing more damage than good. My readings and experimentation have prompted me to avoid footwear that is too soft as it does not allow the foot to do what is natural (such as those Waldie things which will give you foot/ankle cramps/pain if you wear them more than a mile or two). OTOH most peoples' feet are so soft from constant "protection" that some sort of tread is necessary, just need to make sure it's firm support that - at the same time - flexes in just the right spot. Lateral support is also a good thing, since it is not natural for the foot to be elevated off the ground in a shoe.

As far as the Nike barefoot thing, don't have any experience with it. But, I can walk forever in my Chaco sandals which are basically an advanced anatomically shaped slab... ;)

Last edited:
Gris said:
...basically an advanced anatomically shaped slab... ;)
Hey, I thought I was an advanced anatomimically shaped slab!

But I digress. The commercial was OK, the first 10 times. Not so sure about the shoes though. Does sound like some marketing wizards get rich quick scheme. Could be the running world's version of the pet rock :rolleyes: