noonmark/round parking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I passed by noonmark trail while going to gothics last year. my question is, is the noonmark trail on ausable land? i want to takemy dog with me. also, it looks like you can hike a nice loop from top of noonmark to round and back to parking area. does the trail from round end up back at ausable parking lot?

Dogs are contrary to easement rules the Ausable Club signed with NYS when they allowed permanent easement thru their property. Bringing a dog on the Club property will cause problems.
To compound that, the top of Noonmark is a fragile area. It already gets pounded with too many feet. Dogs will just add to that.

Adk_dib - you could climb Noonmark and Round from the Round Pond trailhead instead. you loose the Round Mtn. part of the loop but you could still do a loop on Noonmark. The Ausable Club owns very little of the land that the trails are on, after the first few hundred feet its state land.

peace
Oysterhead

Sorry - didn't mean to have my words misunderstood. I said they own a little of the land not to incite rebellion (or trespassing) but to make it known that they don't own the whole mountain and you could definetly bring your dog in through Round Pond. Sorry. I fully agree that the AMRs rules should be abided by.

peace
Oysterhead

Mr. O,

I concur. No criticism was intended. I was hoping to just chime in that AMR land and access is so special, we need to abide by their rules.

PB

I took my Shepherd, Nesta, up Noonmark a couple of times. It was one of his favorite mountains. I checked the ADK HP guidebook before bringing him the first time, for I knew he was not allowed to gallop with me down the main road, and in my book (on page 75), it clearly states the boundaries of the AMR, and the approaches that are exempt from the AMR restrictions: Snow, Hopkins, Giant, Noonmark, Round, Dix, and LWJ (if approached via Deer Brook)

You can't bring dogs on AMR property, which starts at the wooden gate on the road. The one with the "AMR" on it.

As others have stated, and the vast majority of us do, please respect and adhere to those rules and restrictions.

However, the Noonmark, Round, and Dix trailhead (Stimson Trail) are on private property--just not AMR property. Check your maps and you'll notice the line of delineation between the two private properties. So, you can (or could in the 90's when I went with my dog) take your dog for a loop over the two. Of course all the usual dog etiquette and trail rules still apply, and are greatly appreciated by all of us who hike. There is nothing worse for dog lovers than seeing disrespectful dog owners out there.

As for the mythical trail damage of dogs over humans ... it's all physics. Nesta was 70 pounds spread out over four spongy padded paws. I was (am) 200+ pounds directed and focused onto two feet clad with Vibram hard rubber soles. 6X the weight impact and how many times the footprint of hard rubber versus the softest part on a dog's body? 10X? 25X? 100X?

Just do all of us dog lovers proud and keep him leashed, under control and don't leave any "doggie presents" behind.

Happy hiking to both of you!

I've brought me dog up a few years back, but from the round pond side, just to be safe. You could get Round Mountain with little extra effort from that direction, You'll just miss the loop. I believe there is also an approach just up the hill on the right, just past the turn into the AMR, It's not marked, but there are always cars parked there. There is also a marked trail that leads up the steep hill. Where else could it go, if not a cut-off trail with Round Mountain Trail. Anyone else, know more about this trail?

Confirmation for Dog Lovers climbing Noonmark

Hiked through the AMR yesterday and chatted with the gateman about dogs and the Noonmark trail. He confirmed what I previously posted about the boundaries of the AMR, and did so in a wonderfully enthusiastic way. It seems the gateman loves dogs as much as many of us here on the boards.

His response of: "Oh, you sure can! Remember it's a steep trail, but if your dog is a strong hiker, it's a great trail for dogs."

We both agreed the problem with dogs in the mountains is not with the dogs, but with the owners who feel entitled to hike by their own set of rules.

So, hike Noonmark with your dog and enjoy! Just remember how tenuous the situation is in the high peaks and go above and beyond the guidelines of etiquette to become a "good will ambassador" for hiking with dogs in the mountains.

For if you don't, you're just part of the problem, and not the solution. (not preaching to anyone in particular -- this goes out to all dog owners) The rules have tightened in this day and age and there is a very vocal minority who would love to see dogs banished in the mountains period.

WE MUST CRUSH AND SILENCE THIS REBELLION!

The only way we can do this is by enjoying our dog accompanied hikes in the woods in a selfless and respectful way, and by adhering to rules that most of us feel may be unduly restrictive. Like most things in life, a little extra effort is what makes the collective good move forward.