North Jackson(ME) 3319', 5/6/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhrsebago

Reaction score
"Leave no stragglers!" ...certainly good advice. Two years ago while on my first ever 3000 fter trip to Tumbledown and Little Jackson, I was intimidated by the thick stick forest that surrounded the clearing on "Big" Jackson. At the time plowing through a mile of nasty stuff to the North peak and then back again didn't seem like a good idea - a staggler was born. I've since learned from usually reliable sources, OneStep and Gamehiker (you be the judge), that the ridge over to N Jackson from Jackson soon opens up and becomes quite easy. Being reluctant to take the same route again, last fall I surveyed several possible approaches from the North, but they all seemed to be marked with "No Trespassing" signs.

Sunday, I approached from the South, beginning near Byron Notch on a well-maintained logging road, signed as the Stockbridge Rd, which, not coincidentally, parallels the Stockbridge Branch of the Swift River. The first Winter wren I've heard this spring greeted me as I laced up my boots - a good omen. The logging road is gated near its beginning, and it offers clear views of Tumbledown in profile. After 15 min, I followed an older logging path diverging right, before the main trunk crossed the Stockbrige. Coming around a corner I startled a young bull moose with velveteen antlers, or more accurately - he scared me! Boy, they're big animals! After about an hour, snowshoes were required; shortly afterwards, the road bifurcated and I opted for the one blazed with black arrows on a lavender background. Ultimately, this trail led to Jackson Pond (just west of Big Jackson), a little East of my intended route, but the going was so easy. From the pond I contoured up to the Jackson/N Jackson col on gentle slopes through wide open park-like forest. This may have been the best travelling conditions I've ever seen - smooooth firm snow covering all the forest floor obstructions and widely spaced trees for miles! The summit jar was easily located; placed in 1985 by Sonny Martineau and Dennis Crispo, with Gamehiker the last signee in late 2006. On the return, I took a more direct SE bearing, again through beautiful open forest, before hitting my ascent line.

This route is a gem - easy open slopes, multiple crystal streams, and wonderful views of the backside of both Jacksons and Tumbledown.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

I know it's a rallying cry for bushwhackers and all people unique, but that poem is too often misinterpreted to that end. Kindof a peeve.

And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same

It's an allusion to life's path. You don't really know much about any path, any divergence, any choice, until it's too late to turn around. Way leads on to way. You can only, ages and ages hence, believe and hope you took the one less traveled by.
On a grander and deeper scene, I think it parallel's a hiker's life better than the simple choice to take a seldom-trodden trail.

also, nice hike mhrsebago. I love that area.

N. Jackson 5/12/07

What a difference a week makes!

I had originally planned to do Bag Pond Saturday but was short on time and needed a Plan B so decided to detour to North Jackson. I had spent several winter nights camped at the Slippery Slope Sno-mobile Club's cabin on the pond and always meant to get back up there some winter...

so your report helped me make the trip..
so..did you see the dead moose on the way in about 100 yards from the fork by Stockbridge stream bridge? :eek:

And I also saw another one about 200 yards from the pond... :eek: :eek:

both looked to be cows.

Then to top it all off, I found a massive moose antler as I approached the saddle... :D

must weigh tens pounds....so I strapped it to my pack of course!

the snow was much reduced and not so firm and smooth. Glad I had my 30"s.

Michael, I only saw the dead moose near the beginning of the old logging road. A bit of a downer to think that the poor animal had made it through the harsh winter only to perish just as her life should have gotten easier.

I'm tickled that you enjoyed the route also - great views of the surrounding mountains and fine forest!!