North Kinsman via Mt. Kinsman Trail 1/10/15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBKDalton

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 1/10/15

Conditions: only a few inches of snow down below, maybe 8-12 inches towards the summit? Plenty of ice down below on the logging roads, more snow cover up above. Trail is packed down.

Special Equipment Needed: We wore microspikes the whole trip. Snowshoes would have honestly been helpful further up-the trail is barebootable with traction but was pretty tiring further up without shoes. This was my friends first winter hike in the Whites, and when we met I found she hadn't been able to borrow snowshoes, so we headed up without them. I missed them at the top, but honestly everyone I saw was wearing microspikes.

Comments: very cold day, we summited in a clear window so we had a great view of Franconia ridge. I was tired and my toes were getting cold at the summit, so we didn't bother heading over to south peak, though we met a large group coming back so the trail is definitely packed down. Smiling as I look back on yesterday.