North & Middle Tripyramid 11.19.11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a late start, 10:30 and went up the Sabbaday Brook Trail to the Tripyramid Trail hit both summits and then came back down the same way.

The Sabbaday Brook Trail starts out easy enough and there is a lot of water flowing over the falls. After the falls it got a little tricky though, there are a lot of stream crossings, at least 6 or 7. They are manageable but I couldn't cross at the trail crossing point, had to go up or down stream to find a place and then it was a lot of rock hopping. If the water had been much higher I don't think these streams would have been crossable

It looks like a lot of the trail has been washed away by the stream and in some places the run off is flowing down what used to be the trail into the stream.

There are enough yellow blazes to stay on track though.

There are a few big blow downs on the trail also, big enough to have to divert you off the trail.

In between the water crossings and blow down the trail ascends in a gentle slope until just below the steep ascent to the ridge line. There is a dusting of snow but no special equipment is required.

When I hit the steep portion just below the ridge line it got a little hairy. The rock face is covered with a light coat of snow, just enough to make the footing slippery. I considered puttting my microspikes on but there wasn't enough snow for them to bite into and I wasn't sure if it would improve the traction on the rock face or not, so I bare booted it.

The portion of the Tripyramid trail between North and Middle Tripyramid is in good condition and there were some good views towards Chocura and Mt Passaconaway and Waterville Valley to the West.

Encountered the same difficulties on the way down and slipped on the rock face but was okay, landed on my butt.

All in all it was a great day to be outside. The fall air was brisk and I liked seeing the dusting of snow. Only saw 5 people on the trail all day. Was back in the parking lot by 3:30