Northern PA Backpacking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSettahr

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experience with backpacking in Northern/Northeastern PA? I've got an annual backpacking trip planned with a few friends for late October. In the past, we've gone to destinations in the Adirondacks, but due to people moving south, we've decided to do something in PA this year.

In particular, I'm wondering if anyone has hiked the Old Loggers Path. It sounds perfect for what we're looking for. Our trip is planned for late October this year- does this trail get a lot of use during this time of the season?

I've also read that fires are banned in PA State Forests between October 1st and December 1st, although it sounds like we can get a permit for fires in advance. Does anyone have any experience with the permit process? Is it difficult to get a permit for backcountry fires during the fire ban?

We've also considered maybe doing a trip Thunder Swamp, Pinchot, or Loyalsock Trails, but I think Old Loggers Path is exactly what we're looking for- someplace with easy hiking, some great mountain top views, and a neat place to explore (Rock Run).

Any other comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
I did the West Rim Trail, near Wellsboro several years ago and it was pretty spectacular. The trail skirts the so-called PA Grand Canyon and has some amazing views. I had tried it once in the spring but the bugs were ridiculous. It's not a loop trail but Pine Creek Outfitters can provide some logistical support.

I've always wanted to do the Black Forest Trail in Lycoming County. It's a 40 mile loop trail that apparrently has some nice views. As I recall, the guidebook noted that some of the trails were steep.

Good luck!

I did the West Rim Trail, near Wellsboro several years ago and it was pretty spectacular. The trail skirts the so-called PA Grand Canyon and has some amazing views. I had tried it once in the spring but the bugs were ridiculous. It's not a loop trail but Pine Creek Outfitters can provide some logistical support.

I've always wanted to do the Black Forest Trail in Lycoming County. It's a 40 mile loop trail that apparrently has some nice views. As I recall, the guidebook noted that some of the trails were steep.

Good luck!

Thanks for the information. After discussing things with my hiking companions, it sounds like we're dead set on the Old Loggers Path. I'm definitely starting to look forwards to this trip (and presumably other trips in PA in the future).

Coincidentally, there was a discussion started earlier today on the OLP on AdkHighPeaks. I'm copying and pasted what I posted there here as well, for future reference.

Here's a summary of all the information I've found so far:

OLP-Specific Information:

DCNR website for the trail
DCNR map of the trail
PA Hikes website for the trail

Phone number for the Loyalsock State Forest: (570) 946-4049 (they were very helpful in answering my questions)

Summary of OLP info that I've gathered:

• Important: Pleasant Stream Road was washed out by the hurricanes last year, and has not been repaired. At present, only the eastern trailhead on Pleasant Stream Road is accessible, and only from the north, via Masten by way of Rock Run Road, or from Ellenton. The western trailhead on Pleasant Stream Road is completely inaccessible. Rock Run Road is a dirt road and isn't always in the best of shape, but it sounds like low clearance cars can make it down that road without too much difficulty if they are careful.
  • It sounds like the Rock Run area is a "do not miss" area. Some nice camping, and lots of neat ravines to poke around in and explore. In particular, apparently there's a small gorge where Hawk Run flows into Rock Run that is supposedly very pretty.
  • It also sounds like it's worth while spending a little bit of time exploring Masten, which was a logging town and later a CCC camp before being abandoned. I guess there's some foundations and chimneys left behind after the town was abandoned that are neat to see.
  • There's no bridge at the Pleasant Stream crossing on the western leg of the loop. At normal water levels, the crossing may be wet but not too difficult. If the water is up due to recent rains, the crossing may be difficult or even dangerous.
  • Sullivan Mountain, Sharp Top Vista, and Sprout Point Vista all have great views.
  • It sounds like sections of the trail are overgrown, but navigation isn't too difficult if you keep your eye out for the orange blazes that mark the trail.
  • The DCNR map shows numerous side trails. Based on commentary I've read online, the obviousness of these side trails varies considerably. Some are old logging roads and are easy to spot and follow. Some are old overgrown woods paths, and require excellent navigational skills to even spot, much less follow.

I purchased a book on backpacking trips in PA that has been pretty helpful in planning for our trip: Backpacking Pennsylvania: 37 Great Hikes, by Jeff Mitchell. In particular, it's a great source of information on where established tent sites already exist (there are quite a few along the OLP). Overall, the book is very well written, and, IMO, a must have for anyone looking to get started in PA hiking and backpacking.

General PA State Forest Regulations:

PA State Forest Regulations
PA State Forest hiking and camping brochure

Summary of important regulations:

• Maximum overnight group size without a permit is 10.
  • Maximum length of stay in a campsite without a permit is 1 night.
  • Campsites must be at least 100 feet from water and at least 25 feet from the trail (some areas have designated tent sites, the OLP does not).
  • Fires are banned every spring between March 1 and May 25, as well as every fall between October 1 and December 1. However, during the fire ban, if you call the local state forest office a few days in advance of your trip, you may be able to obtain verbal permission to have a fire if the conditions are acceptable.

Although they are not as exciting as other regions, PA is full of backpacking options and many dedicated backpacking trails. A favorite of mine, not too far from the OLP is the Loyalsock Trail. It is about 60 miles end to end. I used to camp at Worlds End area as a kid and always liked the area. The PA DCNR website has many of these trails.